40g tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tbone112219

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have worked with fresh water for a long time now. I have a 40 gallon tank and looking to setup a reef tank. Want it to be very colorful And active. Any help here would be great

I would start with researching your filtration. With SW reefs, you don't keep fish, you keep water. As long as your water is perfect, the rest will do fine. Then think about the stock you want. Soft corals are easiest....and also colorful.

Thanks. I have been looking at the filters. Is it better to use a filter that can handle a bigger tank like a 50 to 70 gallon tank( will be upgrading tank in a year or so). Also should I use the filters that hang off the back or an external one that goes under the tank in the stand?

I am wanting to use the 40gallon to start with the frags and let them get bigger so a larger tank doesn't look so empty or spend a ton on the coral that is needed for the larger tank.

I would start off with getting a biological filter stabalized. A pound of live rock for every gallon your tank holds. Same thing with live sand. One pound for every gallon. That way you can grow the amount of bacteria you need for your tank to keep nitrites low. A skimmer is also a plus (mechanical filtration).

Buddha is right, protein skimmer is a big plus, get one rated for 75 or 100 gallon. Don't go cheap there. If you don't plan to put a lot of fish in there, the live rock, protein skimmer and regular partial water changes should be enough. I got LEDs off of eBay for about $180, I recommend the ones with dimmers, It will make it easier to acclimate your corals.

If you are going with a 40g tank, look at the 40 breeder. It has a nice footprint to it and not very tall. With it not being tall, there's less water for the light to penetrate through which really opens up your lighting options. People do amazing things with these tanks, just do a google search on 40 breeder reef.

Back
Top Bottom