5 days and no ammonia!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luis1662

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all. I am pretty new to the site so bare with me if this has been answered. I just started a 40gal reef and has been cycling for the past 5 days. Ive been testing and have recorded no amm,nitrite or nitrate. Question is and I've heard from a few is if I have live sand and live rock that has been in an established aquarium will there still be an ammonia spike or do I have to start one(shrimp, amm drops etc..) I know this "cycle" takes time and I am by no means rushing anything. Just not sure if I should let it be or try and make some ammonia. Thanks again for all your help.

You need an ammonia source to begin the cycle. Ammonia source could be a shrimp or you can dose pure ammonia.

so is there a chance it could start without those things and the live rock and sand be enough? And I'm not sure (why am asking) if when u have live rock from an established aquarium and live sand that there will be no cycle or will there always be a starting cycle regardless with a new tank?

Depends on what you mean by live rock and if it's been cured or not. You still needed an ammonia source to feed the bacteria or else they would die off. Which it's possible many if you had any already died.

The rock has def been cured. The only thing that's new in he tank is the sand and water from the lfs. I'll keep monitoring it this week and if still nothing I'll prob dose some amm in there.

Still throw in some fish food or something as an ammonia source to feed the bacteria you have in there.

Yeah np learned a lot by setting up my tank not to long ago lol just a learning experience and much more to learn.

Back
Top Bottom