54g corner project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spicemonkey

Aquarium Advice Freak
well...here I go again teeheee We got the new tank in place with rodi water (for now), 60# dry sand, I threw in the old filter from 12g when I replaced that and a couple live rocks. I am using a magnum hot filter for now, wet/dry filter is ordered and enroute. I will order protein skimmer later this week when paycheck comes in. we were so excited we forgot to put backdrop on first doh:banghead:

I threw in a bunch of dry fish food to start process now to wait and get backdrop on lol

anyone have experience with Marineland protein skimmer?

I just posted on the "I Feel Like A Loser" thread and Rutrag gave a great response there about the whole "nitrate factory" thing. I've had saltwater tanks for years with bio balls and have never had nitrate issues. If you can catch detritus before it hits them and whatever is collecting that is cleaned regularly, things should be fine. They may not be necessary with enough live rock and sand, but they sure have never created problems for me.

I guess its a bad thing to just repost info I have heard without experimenting with it haha. I have just ALWAYS heard they are nitrate factories unless you clean them alot.

I have biomax in my canister, but there are 6 sponges that the water goes through before getting to the biomax, so there's not a nitrate problem. I also rinse them every week. It's it's maintained well, it's not a problem. :)

It's funny to me because I only started hearing that when I got onto places like this. I go back many, many years (prior to these types of online places, so basically the aquarium dinosaur ages) and when the bio balls came out, it was the thing to have. Seems like now, it is all about live rock and sand (which is not bad).

To me, anything that catches and keeps waste is a nitrate factory of sorts. Some systems that utilize bio balls might have set ups where water that has not passed through mechanical filtration hits them. I could see that being a problem, because the waste is gonna collect in the balls and create nitrates.

Well. I do plan to incorporate rock in the wrt/dry filter as well plus i have eveything coming from my 12g to boot to put inside the tank. (Ls & lr) Suprisingly my corals appear to b thriving in 12g

Well; I ordered a filter, apparently not the one I thought I ordered, i recieved a fuge type without overflow box annd the return pump I already have doesn't fit in the last compartment grrr. what to do... what to do?!!?

The box says it can be used submerged or in line. does in line mean i ca n have it siting out somewhere?

Ahh almost there lol. sump is expected soon and protein skimmer is ordered woohooo I have been running my tank with just a Magnum hob

Lol...A LOT of debate, research and several recomendations amd finally price (best option for least $) it is versatile (in/out of sump). $99 on sale thru petco and strongly recommended from numerous highly regarded professionals in local businesses and online contacts even still after I did A LOT of reseach. i had been back and forth on so many brands I was immobilized and is why it has taken me sooo long to get this up & running. Now....if my sump would just arrive i may actually git er done *sigh*

I know everyone seems to have very strong opinons in so many differnt directions; i can only hope i made the right choice after so much debate. I saw a quote one time saying "I only want to have to cry once". meaning make the best choice the first time and not have to spend more money later to have to upgrade or replace

So; a question in preparation of the big move... I have some sand worms in the live sand of my 12g. Do I pull them out and replant/bury or just scoop all sand and dump in new tank?
I have been scooping little bits of sand at a time but avoiding the area where the sand worms are because I am not sure what to do.

So... My sump is FINALLY enroute so stoked. need some advise tho
please...anyone? best way to move the rest of the ls to hopefully NOT lose the sand worms.

My sump finally arrived!! Do I needto do a 100% water change? I still have a lot of brown stuff on my sand bed :(

Back
Top Bottom