55 fish and invert system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I have my aquarium on its stand ready to be filled FINIALLY. i think i will be going to lincoln this weekend to get sand and rock but still need to hook up the ro/di unit (directions are very confusing...something about piercing the pice, but anyways)

after i fill 2/3 will freshwater i will add salt and powerheads....after salt is mixed up add rock to make sure firm on the bottom then add sand on top on if????

i eventually want to get good lights so i can turn it into a reef but all i got now is the ones that came with the deluxe 55 gallon aquarium kit from walmart 8O

while cycling do i need to run lights..if so how long and what time?

still fulla questions

THANKS

marty_wolff said:
I have my aquarium on its stand ready to be filled FINIALLY. i think i will be going to lincoln this weekend to get sand and rock but still need to hook up the ro/di unit (directions are very confusing...something about piercing the pice, but anyways)

after i fill 2/3 will freshwater i will add salt and powerheads....after salt is mixed up add rock to make sure firm on the bottom then add sand on top on if????

i eventually want to get good lights so i can turn it into a reef but all i got now is the ones that came with the deluxe 55 gallon aquarium kit from walmart 8O

still fulla questions

THANKS

Most people will prob. reccomend keeping the substrate as open as possible, which means sand first and rocks firmly placed. You can use zip ties to hold rocks together to prevent slides. If you want to be inventive you can use acrylic rods or egg crate as a base for the lr to sit on so the sand is untouched and the bases are firmly planted...many options. As far as lights, what types of coral are you interested in? You can go halides, pc's, etc...You can run lights while cycling or not, either way the tank is going to get diatoms and other algae growth till cycling completes.

My recommendation would be to get some cheap base rock and set it on the glass, followed by the sand then the liverock stacked on top of the base. Reason being is alot of the fish you can get, like to burrow and you don't want them dislodging your rocks. Engineer gobies are notorious for this.

marty_wolff said:
With the lighting you have I'd just keep them off to keep the algae bloom to a minimum.

Another note, I would not add salt directly to the tank, even while cycling. I premix my water, this helped me get an idea of how many cups of salt to put in the water.

thanks for all the comments.

im interested in annenomies( not corals but close;)) zoos, polyps and mayb some leathers, but thats further down the road when i can afford the lighting

as soon as i hook the ro/di unit (confusing) i will premix water and add in friday night.. on saturday im getting rock and sand

would it be a wise idea to make an in-the-tank-fuge? something like a glass cude 5" by 5"?

5x5 isn't large enough to do much good IMO. If looking for a quick way to do it without building it in the sump checkout USA Refugium which sells HOB refugium starting at $25.

ive decided to make this a reef tank so what are some inverts i cannot get (will kill eachother of coral)

what type of coral would you reccomend (pictures would b nice:)

how many of each type of invert would you reccomend?

What could i be able to keep in a refug that small? a hermit, snail or 2?

i bought sand today (and only 12 lbs of rock)

so i fill my tank with water then i add the pro buffer dKH that i bought today also?

once i have my pH to 8.2 then i add salt?

i will let walt run for a day or 2, or until well mixed then i will add sand?

help me plz!

Is the rock live or base? If live then you want to get your water mixed before adding if base it doesn't matter. The salt mix will get your ph around 8.0 which is fine. You can add buffer per directions but you probably won't have to.

Mobile inverts to avoid are the larger hermits (2+") and larger crabs (4+")

The crabs listed here are all fine. Mostly I'd stick with red/blue leg hermits and get about 10 to start.
For snails the Margarita Snail & Nassarius snail are both great and 10 total of these types would be a good start.

I'd drip acclimate them for 2+ hours before adding to the tank. Also avoid buying any sea stars for now.

how long do i have to wait before adding a star?

whats the max number of hermits/snails i can have after my tank is more developed?

i would like blue leg hermits( ive heard red legs dont go as good but idk) a porcelin crab after i get an anenome, a decorator crab, emerald crabs, and MAYB a boxing crab(are these safe)?

I'd wait at least 6 months before adding a sea star. They require very good water conditions to survive long term and are very sensitive to changes in temp/ph/sg. I wouldn't get more then 1 sea star for a 55 gal and only get the Brittle Star which is reef safe. A long 3 hour drip acclimation is best for sea stars before adding to the tank.

Personally I wouldn't add more then 20 hermits or snails to a 55 gal even after it matures. Usually unless you have a ton of lr there isn't enough food to support more then that.

I haven't seen any difference between blue or red leg hermits. The blue leg hermits are prettier IMO but are not any better at scavenging then the red leg hermits.

I'd hold off on any crabs for a couple of months to let your tank mature more. The ones you mentioned are also considered "reef safe" but I'd limit your tank to just one crab.

im debating between a decorator crab, arrow crab, and porcelin crab

are all of these crabs are safe with all fish inverts and corals?

would an arrow crab eat clowns, inverts, or corals?

can shrimp go with these crabs?

I'd avoid the Arrow crab and Decorator crabs personally, I haven't had them but know they can be more aggressive then others when they get large.

All crabs are opportunistic carnivores and will go after any slow fish/inverts if they are hungry enough.

One of the following would be good choices IMO.

Porcelin, Emerald Mithrax Crab, or Sally Lightfoot Crab. None of these would mess with coral/inverts much.

Personally I like shrimp much more then crabs. Crabs tend to hide more IME. My favorite shrimp are the Banded Coral Shrimp, Peppermint Shrimp, & Cleaner Shrimp.

can you have more then one type of shrimp?

or two of the same type

could i keep a porcelin crab with shrimp?

Back
Top Bottom