55 Gallon Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

40galreef

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am planning on setting up a 55 gallon (breeder size) reef tank. I would like to get around 220 watts on it. I am working on a budget, so I might get a used tank and either replace the lighting or build a hood. Cost being the biggest consideration, what do you think would be the best lighting option for this tank? Thanks

Breeders are 30, 40, and 50 gallon as far as I've seen. A standard 55 is 48" x 12". I would use the 2 Tao's also.

Breeders are 30, 40, and 50 gallon as far as I've seen. A standard 55 is 48" x 12". I would use the 2 Tao's also.

Sorry, I just meant a shallower tank. Side note, do you think a standard 55 gallon tank is fine for a reef? Can this fixture be mounted in a hood? From the pictures, it looks like they have to be hung. Thanks!

Yes, I love my 55. I'd like a wider tank for a larger sandbed...but I'm just getting picky now that I've filled the tank with coral!

Build a hood and simply mount the lights like you would if it was the ceiling. Not really that big of an issue. Why you get dimmable.

Yes, I love my 55. I'd like a wider tank for a larger sandbed...but I'm just getting picky now that I've filled the tank with coral!

Build a hood and simply mount the lights like you would if it was the ceiling. Not really that big of an issue. Why you get dimmable.

I saw that they recommend the lighting be at least 30 cm away from the water. I don't use metric, but would a hood put them closer than that?

Thats why they are dimmable. I have my radions hanging no where close to that far away from the water.

Thanks! Will you send me a picture of your 55 gallon tank? I need inspiration!

I think they recommend them to be that far from the water so they don't get splashed with salt water. Even though they have a protective lens, The metal casing will eventually rust if hit with a lot of salt water.

Back
Top Bottom