55 gallon question regarding sump and skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilostnemo

Aquarium Advice Addict
first off a 20 gallon long would make a good sump right?

and would i need a protien skimmer?
im thinking yes but if not im going to start this tank up then add it later

lol cant help ya there, I just use the one that came with my set up. Im sure someone on here has on opinion on it. DONT FORGET THE PICS OF THE BUILD!!

You can get skimmers pretty cheap on the net i wouldn't bother making one and depending on the size of your tank and sump determines the skimmer size,i would also get some cheatomorpha or halimeda with live sand for your sump with a small light for growth,this will help with nitrates you'll see some designs on this site.

yeah ive got my sump/ refuge plans down. and tank size like stated is 55g and sump is 20g well itll hold less than that.

On my 55 I run a bak pak skimmer for now and it works great. The 20 gal sump will be fine. If you want to go super clean install, go for a 30 long sump and section it off using some plexi glass so you have a place for a fuge and a spot to put your skimmer. It will also give you space to hide your heaters.

ive thought about somehow making a inline skimmer from the water coming from the overflow. ive already got some plans sketched out. any thoughts about it? and about the thirty long i think thats what my other tank is but im not sure its 36x13x17

water enters in at the top and exits the bottom. the yellow is airline tubing and a airstone. any thoughts about this?

Attachments

• PS.jpg
    PS.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 75
you could plumb the intake side into the bottom and the exit at the top if you wanted and make it work more like a regular PS. With the water level of the tank higher than the top of the PS it would still flow. But I think it would work but you need some kind of cup or something to catch the skim. give it a shot and let us know. take lots of pics!

you also need to regulate the water flow so it doesn't just fill the cup which means slowing your DT water flow which I wouldn't advise,maybe you could have a bypass pipe as well so about 30% water flow goes to your DIY skimmer and the rest to your sump so as not to lose any flow rate?

you could plumb the intake side into the bottom and the exit at the top if you wanted and make it work more like a regular PS. With the water level of the tank higher than the top of the PS it would still flow. But I think it would work but you need some kind of cup or something to catch the skim. give it a shot and let us know. take lots of pics!
ok so switch the in and out can do. and yeah ive been thinkin about what to catch the skim with. i thought maybe a drain with the holes so the skim will pass through and itll be separate from the water?

should i maybe have the intake being 3/4th of a inch pipe and the outflow be a 1 inch that way itll flow out easier?

Back
Top Bottom