55 reef reboot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Having dead spots lay there was my issue too. I've been cleaning them out now this month. Though gross crud in there along with algae, it is neat to find zoas that found there way into them growing.

Through a local reef group, I got a circulation pump controller. When payday comes, I'm getting two small pumps from amazon and hooking them up it. I was thinking of having one switch on and off every two minute, and one every 45 seconds to get some good alternating flow going. Put them near the back of the tank, about halfway down. Thoughts?

Just placed the order for the new LEDs! They are scheduled to arrive on or before Thursday the 19th.
Also, algae is almost completely gone from the back wall, but the hermits seem to have just one rock they like to graze. Jerks. Lol

LEDs here by Thursday, and got another circulation pump. Just a little one and it's aimed slightly down across the back wall on/off in 75 second intervals. Boy did that first interval stir up gunk! I was amazed by how much was hidden back there! Most of it is settling in the refugium now so that's good.
I am on my way!
Sniperhawk, is that offer for birdsnest still good? How much you want for an overnighted frag?

Looks great! I love LEDs, be careful not to torch your coral though. Which powerhead did you add? My apologies if I missed where you said it.

The only corals I have right now are the Kenya tree and some shrooms. I've got the LEDs turned down to 40% blue and 35% white right now. Gonna give it a week before turning that up any.
The powerheads are just aqueons. Not the best, but they move water, stay put, and are easy to disassemble and clean. Not to mention being affordable!

Good to see you back, I remember you!
Alternating the flow on the power heads works well for me.
Be careful, those LEDs are stronger than you think.

Thanks Greg! I'm alternating flow on two, two on constantly. The LEDs are definitely strong. But in addition to being turned down pretty far, there isn't a lot of photosynthetic life in there right now, though I just picked up a zoa frag and a candy cane frag today. Definitely starting the candy cane out in a somewhat shaded spot on the bottom.

Turned the LEDs down a smidgen further. 25% white, 35% blue. The mushrooms didn't look very happy.
I've been waiting to post a review of the lights until I'd had them for a couple weeks. Found the one downside so far. Can't turn then down below 25% or they just turn off.
Still, I'm very happy with them. I figure that I'll be able to turn them up slowly over the next few weeks. I think I'll aim for 5% per week. Thoughts?

Yes I noticed that as well- not being able to dim completely. I brought mine up very slow like that and it worked out good. I've had them for several months now and never turned them up all the way. Only coral I ever had an issue with was a chalice it didn't completely die though and is coming back albeit sloooowly.

The only things that seem unhappy with the new lights are the shrooms. Everything else loves them. Hopefully, the shrooms adjust quickly so I can turn the lights up a few notches.

A local reefer gave me a red bubble tip anemone last Thursday. It promptly moved under a rock, into a cave, and hid. To be expected, of course. But it stayed there, and is still there. I was starting to get worried, but today, while peering around the back, I was quote startled to see a smaller, second anemone! He split! No wonder he was hiding.

I guess the move stressed him more than I thought!
My green BTA is doing fantastic, so I'm willing to wager these two will do fine once try recover.

Got so,e frags shipped in today. FedEx temporarily lost them, so they got cold. Also jostled enough to break the montipora into little pieces. Lost the acropora turaki, but everything else survived.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387947805.965216.jpg
Acropora red planet

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387947821.218330.jpg
Stylophora pistillata

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387947851.386457.jpg
Three colors of montipora capricornis

Back
Top Bottom