55G Saltwater Tank Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alyxandria

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a beautiful 55 gallon rimless tank I'm going to be upgrading to from my 29G tank.

There are some things I've been considering. I am thinking I'd probably like to go with a sump but I'm definitely not drilling the tank.

So I think I'm going to go with the CPR brand for the overflow box as it has the backup pump. I think I will also go with the Jebao DC series for the return pump.

My question is - do I go with:

1) CPR CS50 overflow at 300 GPH with the Jebao DC1200 up to 315 GPH

OR

2) CPR CS100 overflow at 800 GPH with the Jebao DC3000 up to 790 GPH

What do you think? I'm completely green when it comes to sumps lol. Thanks! Appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I like the second one with more flow. I`m not familiar with that brand overflow box as I had eshops brand. Spelling might not be right. But I like the flow.

The second will be better. Always more flow, to include in and out of the sump. With that said, you will want a larger return pump. You want the return to have a larger GPH than the overflow. This will allow you to use a ball or gate valve after the return pump so you can ensure they match perfectly. This will also lengthen the life of the pump itself.

I have the Jebao DC6000 on my 50 and run it at level "5" out of "6" and two rather strong power heads for circulation/flow, so a DC3000 is certainly not big enough.

The nice thing about the DC pumps is being able to adjust the speed, even if it is by pre-sets.
So far I have been extremely happy with mine, so I think you picked the right brand for good performance/price point, you just want one with more oomph! (y)

Back
Top Bottom