55Gallon stock setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taylorxoxihy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm going to be setting up a 55 gallon tank in a few weeks and want to know what kind of fish I should get

I want two ocellaris clown fish and lots of corals, any ideas for a full stock would be awesome! Open to pretty much anything but want lots of colorful fish. :fish2:

Royal gramma. Great colours and I think they are as reef safe as they come.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ive decided on 2 ocellaris clownfish, a blue dot jawfish and a clown mantis shrimp.

I like the royal grammas and dotty backs. are there any schooling type fish that would be good?

Chromis are a good schooling fish. I think they are best kept in odd numbers.

Mantis shrimp don't really work in community SW tanks. They really need their own setups so they don't kill tankmates. Make sure you have a tight fitting lid and deeper sand bed for the jawfish

ok so the mantis shrimp is out. Still thinking about getting the 2 clown fish the blue dot jawfish. I have a good lid and will make sure there is plenty of sand.

Q's: Would a tile sea star be ok? possibly a blue sapphire damsel as well? How many fish would I really be able to have in my tank? Also should I add corals to the tank before I start adding fish or does it not matter?

I obviously have a lot of research to do but have plenty of time before fish are ever added to the tank.

ok so the mantis shrimp is out. Still thinking about getting the 2 clown fish the blue dot jawfish. I have a good lid and will make sure there is plenty of sand.

Q's: Would a tile sea star be ok? possibly a blue sapphire damsel as well? How many fish would I really be able to have in my tank? Also should I add corals to the tank before I start adding fish or does it not matter?

I obviously have a lot of research to do but have plenty of time before fish are ever added to the tank.

I'd avoid the sea star. They are hard to keep as we aren't even sure what they eat.
Damsels I always suggest against. They are mean and territorial.
In my 55 reef, I had 6 fish at max but 5 worked out much better.
If you are going to have coral in your system, it doesn't matter what goes first. They have very little impact on the bioload of the system unlike a fish. With that said, there is another layer of research on being able to keep photosynthetic corals.

Wrasses, especially the fairies and flashers, are great color and movement. I like chalk basses too, it's my oldest fish. Lol all of 3 years. Liveaquaria is a great source of info on compatibility and tank size recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom