5g Nano Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarist1234

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everybody! I'm going to start my first saltwater tank, a 5g nano! I'm new to saltwater so I'll need help with the build. Right now I have a hang on filter, a hood with a small bulb, and the 5g tank. Thanks!:)

So what are you wanting to know lol just start asking and well start answering ;)

Mrc8858 said:
So what are you wanting to know lol just start asking and well start answering ;)

Ok :) What are the best fish, corals, substrate, and are hang on filters okay?

For fish you won't have many options you can go to liveaquaria.com and narrow the search to 5 gallon minimum and pick out what you like then we can build around that since its always easier if you have a certain direction before you begin

Mrc8858 said:
For fish you won't have many options you can go to liveaquaria.com and narrow the search to 5 gallon minimum and pick out what you like then we can build around that since its always easier if you have a certain direction before you begin

Ok, I'll let you know in a sec :)

Mrc8858 said:

How about the Ocellaris Clownfish?

image-1448058298.jpg

You'll need to get atleast a 10 but I would reccomend a 20 for a clown. Look into the gobies maybe jawfish

Mrc8858 said:
You'll need to get atleast a 10 but I would reccomend a 20 for a clown. Look into the gobies maybe jawfish

Ok I'll look.

Mrc8858 said:

How about a;

Catalina Goby

image-3302156855.jpg

or

Firefish

image-388265590.jpg

Catalina goby requires temperate waters in the high 60s so you'll need a chiller if you wanna go that route and the fire fish I think require a larger tank also. Is stay away from all dartfish in a tank that size.

Mrc8858 said:
Catalina goby requires temperate waters in the high 60s so you'll need a chiller if you wanna go that route and the fire fish I think require a larger tank also. Is stay away from all dartfish in a tank that size.

Oh, I don't want to get a chiller so I'll keep looking.

That would work you could get other color variants too

For coral do you think a small live rock with some polyps and purple passion tree corals would work

With corals you can pretty much house what ever will fit into the tank but you'll have to consider giving space between corals to prevent them from attacking eachother

Mrc8858 said:
With corals you can pretty much house what ever will fit into the tank but you'll have to consider giving space between corals to prevent them from attacking eachother

Ok I'll be careful with them. For sand do I do live or normal.

Live sand isn't needed save the money and get regular sand or pool filter sand

Back
Top Bottom