6 foot marine possibly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stingrays4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi thanks to Nu Nu the eel,he has got me thinking about my new tank which I collected last Friday. :) Basically as the tank is in a shed I always said i wouldn't have marines out there as they are too expensive? But I got thinking and was wondering if I could do it more simple making it cheaper?
I am not new to marines but haven't had marines for a few years now,so need some assistance in deciding if this is possible?
My thoughts are to base the tank on a lower level part of the reef,so would exclude light loving corals. Also would be a slower flow. Thinking base of the reef,on the land side of a reef. This would mean slower flow and generally smaller fish possibly?
Firstly the tank is - 72 inches long,by 18 inches wide by 24 inches deep.
I guess R/O water is mandatory?
Low light? Two T8 tubes?
Protein skimmer? An essential item?
External filter{s}I currently have two ready for use on this tank.
Circulation pumps? I am thinking not too high a turn over?
I would have live rock.
Thinking two options - small fish and a few shrimps and a C & C or a oddball type set up, with say a trigger, a moray and a lion fish possibly?
Also obviously a refractometer,salt and test kits:)
Thanks for reading and any advice(y)
Photo added of the tank {currently empty}

Attachments

• with shelving (Large).jpg
    with shelving (Large).jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
stingrays4 said:
Hi thanks to Nu Nu the eel,he has got me thinking about my new tank which I collected last Friday. :) Basically as the tank is in a shed I always said i wouldn't have marines out there as they are too expensive? But I got thinking and was wondering if I could do it more simple making it cheaper?
I am not new to marines but haven't had marines for a few years now,so need some assistance in deciding if this is possible?
My thoughts are to base the tank on a lower level part of the reef,so would exclude light loving corals. Also would be a slower flow. Thinking base of the reef,on the land side of a reef. This would mean slower flow and generally smaller fish possibly?
Firstly the tank is - 72 inches long,by 18 inches wide by 24 inches deep.
I guess R/O water is mandatory?
Low light? Two T8 tubes?
Protein skimmer? An essential item?
External filter{s}I currently have two ready for use on this tank.
Circulation pumps? I am thinking not too high a turn over?
I would have live rock.
Thinking two options - small fish and a few shrimps and a C & C or a oddball type set up, with say a trigger, a moray and a lion fish possibly?
Also obviously a refractometer,salt and test kits:)
Thanks for reading and any advice(y)
Photo added of the tank {currently empty}

Hi james! If you want to keep it as cheap as possible i would suggest you leave out the soft corals. If you want soft corals i think you could get some cheap power conpacts or something that would suffice. For a tank this large you would definitly get a protein skimmer... And for that you will need to make a sump. Its not that hard, but it will take a bit of time and money to do. You would probably need a few good sized powerheads for the fish in the tank. I like your stocking ideas though! You could use the filters as well, the more the better :) ro water is necessary as well

Hi thanks Nu Nu the eel(y) So a protein skimmer is a definate(y) Any recommendations? Also any thoughts any one else? Hi I am thinking no corals? Although would 'leather' corals go in?

Last edited:
Awesome. An FOWLR would be way cheaper and with some cheap lights you could prob. get away with some leather corals and mushrooms. Urchins are good for cleaning the algae especially in a FOWLR where in some cases most of the inverts will be picked on/eaten. Would love to see the progress on this!

If you get away from the corals, maybe do a deep water tank? I've never looked into it too much, but I've heard of people doing this. You could research deep water saltwater fish and see if its possible. I've seen some pretty ones on liveaquaria.com that re deepwater.
It would need to be low light and slightly cooler temp of course, but there are some pretty and unusual fish in deep waters. The down side is that they're not gonna be $5-20 each, more like $50 each. :( But corals can cost that much too, so it's a trade off. And you wouldn't have the lighting expense. Just a suggestion. :)

Hi thanks for all the comments so far(y) I am getting more and more tempted with a FOWLR:)
Thoughts so far - Living rock - how much? 1 kilo per 10 litres?{is that about right?} 500 litre tank = 50 kilos? Cost wise:eek:
Salt - any recommended makes?
Refractometer or hydrometer?
Externals - what do I put in them? I'm thinking sponges in one and some chemical absorbing media in the other one?
Fish:fish1: Think that one can wait for now:)

Hi thanks for all the comments so far(y) I am getting more and more tempted with a FOWLR:)
Thoughts so far - Living rock - how much? 1 kilo per 10 litres?{is that about right?} 500 litre tank = 50 kilos? Cost wise:eek:
Salt - any recommended makes?
Refractometer or hydrometer?
Externals - what do I put in them? I'm thinking sponges in one and some chemical absorbing media in the other one?
Fish:fish1: Think that one can wait for now:)

For live rock get a very little amount and a bunch of vase rock. Saves lots of money

Hi thanks for the info. the Living rock is rather expensive:eek: but seems to form the basis for most systems. This project is also looking very likely to get past - just thinking about it:D the final decision will be this weekend:)

Hi thanks for the info. the Living rock is rather expensive:eek: but seems to form the basis for most systems. This project is also looking very likely to get past - just thinking about it:D the final decision will be this weekend:)

Sorry meant base rock. It will turn live over time

If you go with that predator tank, I would avoid a trigger and lion. Many types of triggers will take out a lion if housed together for an extended period of time

If you go with that predator tank, I would avoid a trigger and lion. Many types of triggers will take out a lion if housed together for an extended period of time

Most people are succesful with the planktivore triggers such as nigers, pink tails, and blue throats. I have read one or two times of people having problems with overly aggressive nigers, but 90% of what I have read ended in success.

Hi thanks for the information so far(y) The trigger I particularly like is the Picasso Trigger:) I am not deciding on fish just yet as I want to decide whether its a viable project or not. I am going to make a final decision this weekend at take it from there. At the moment its looking like I will proceed:D
My only probelm is cost of setting it up as a tropical is £50? A marine set up £500+:eek:

Back
Top Bottom