60g Cube Build Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTodd

Aquarium Advice Addict
I ended up getting a used 60 gallon acrylic cube and stand yesterday. I was going to use a CPR BakPak HOB skimmer that I already have (will get a regular skimmer when funds allow), but this cube has a build in overflow, which I had not originally planned for.

My thoughts are to grab one, maybe two 10g or 15g glass tanks from Petco to use as a sump and possibly refugium. Put them next to each other, connect on the long sides with a bulkhead and, for now, use the HOB skimmer underneath.

What size return pump and what manufacturer would be good for this? I need as quiet as possible since this will be right next to my side of the bed.

Also, what size bulkhead would allow enough flow between the tanks AND does anyone know if the Petco tanks can be drilled on the side panels?

I ended up getting a used 60 gallon acrylic cube and stand yesterday. I was going to use a CPR BakPak HOB skimmer that I already have (will get a regular skimmer when funds allow), but this cube has a build in overflow, which I had not originally planned for.

My thoughts are to grab one, maybe two 10g or 15g glass tanks from Petco to use as a sump and possibly refugium. Put them next to each other, connect on the long sides with a bulkhead and, for now, use the HOB skimmer underneath.

What size return pump and what manufacturer would be good for this? I need as quiet as possible since this will be right next to my side of the bed.

Also, what size bulkhead would allow enough flow between the tanks AND does anyone know if the Petco tanks can be drilled on the side panels?

Why not just go with a 29 for a sump? You wouldn't have to drill it and you can set up a fuge inside. Just my $.02 though. And pump size depends on the equipment your using.
Edit: you can get a 29 for $29. Right now, petcos got there sale going

What are the 29 dimensions? As long as it fits, that makes more sense.

I need to go look at what size the drain pipe bulkhead is.

For now, it will just be the HOB skimmer and I'm hoping to get a regular skimmer next month. I'm open to suggestions for that too. I plan to go reef with a little of everything in corals and probably just small fish like gobies, blennies and maybe a trio of Anthias. I have a leopard wrasse already that will be the first inhabitant.

29 is 30x12x18 I believe,a 20 high could work too, which I believe has the same footprint as a 10

This is a 24x24, so its gotta be small enough to fit inside the stand. A 15 or 20 tall might work.

My though with using two tanks was to divide each into two sections. Have the water coming into a filter sock in the first. Have a skimmer in the second chamber with a bulkhead going into the next tank. Water enters the second tank into a refugium ( just live rock and macro algae) and then goes into the last chamber where the return pump is.

When dimensions get odd and tanks won't fit, it is time to look into other options...how big of a rubbermaid container will fit under there you think?

Good idea. I will have to go look at Home Depot this weekend. Any idea how long those will last with saltwater going through them? Are they all aquarium/ food safe?

There should be a rating on them on if they are food safe...if not, take your smart phone. All the websites say if containers are water/food safe on them. In terms of a plastic container, it should last as long as anything else.
For the future build plans in my head, I'm planning on picking up the water troughs that livestock use to save $$.

Do you think an ASM G2 skimmer would be too much? I think they are rated for 200g . Someone has one on CL, 5 months old for $75. Figure I could sell my CPR HOB for about that .

Also going to see if the acrylic tank in my sons room will fit for a sump. It's 23" wide.

How about a Bubble Magus Nac6 (rated for 180g, I believe)? Seems like all the good deals are overkill. I've got two weeks to find something...

I'm looking at a BM NAC5 (rated at 80-135g) for $150 now.

I went to Home Depot and found a clear $5 Steralite container that fits underneath. I still want to see if my son's acrylic tank will fit and if so, I will just get him a 20g.

My son's tank fits if I put it in from the back. It is exactly the length of the interior of the stand, it just needs to be placed going lengthwise front to back. It is 24x13x16.

For skimmers, as of this moment I have two options...a brand new Bubble Magus Nac5 for $150 or a used (8 months) SWC Xtreme 120 for $100. I know Bubble Magus is good, but I'm not familiar with SWC. Not sure the $50 extra is worth it to get new. Any thoughts on which to go with???

I'm considering a Quiet One 3000 for the return pump.

I am using a mag 9.5 for the return pump. It worked well before I took down the setup. Iplan on using the same pump again when I put it back togehter.

Back
Top Bottom