65 octopus build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reeffanman

Aquarium Advice Freak
image-3306291180.jpg

Well here I go this is the start of my 65 octo build
Picked up the 65 off kijiji. Unfortunately it has one of those lets paint on backgrounds, but with alot of work it should be good as new

Well the glass is now clean from paint. Traded sum frags for a boyu skimmer And a sump pump. The pump is way underrated for what I need but the frags didn't cost me anything out of pocket, so why not. And she skimmer isn't a great name, but it's rated for 600 L. Which is around 150gal. That's almost triple the main tank I should be good with that.

As for the design I want to build a stand where I can see my refuge in the sump. It will be the middle section of the sump. Maybe ill put sum thing in there that will clean up what the octo leaves behind. Blood shrimp and a bunch of nasarrius snails.
Trying to keep my eye out for a good sized sump

Does anyone know what macro would be best in a tank like this?

I was so hoping for this to have a lot more pictures and be a lot further along. None the less I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Well sorry not much to take a pic of yet. Today I picked up my bulkheads and some dry rock 30 lbs . Hope the pieces are big enough he's not going to rearrange them. Ill seed it with a piece out of my 90 or my 75 frag tank

Picked up a sump it's a 40 gal online and got sum free chunks of glass
The refuge area is almost 17 gal

image-2316868725.jpg

Attachments

• image-211325597.jpg
    image-211325597.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 113
Well I think I'm pretty much done with the sump am I missing anything?

image-4030355436.jpg

The egg crate basket is for bio balls ordered from eBay.

So from the overflow water travels down through the bio balls, under the baffle and into the skimmer chamber. From there it goes over the wall into the fuge. Haven't decided what I'm gunna house in the fuge yet tho. I'm thinking maybe a pistol, or a mantis. And sum ornamental Marco. From there the waters goes over the wall into the last chamber where the heater and return pump will be. I know there is no bubble trap, this is a octo tank and they need high amounts of dissolved oxygen. I may have to put an airstone or a powerhead in the last chamber to help get a little more air into the water, so I decided against it. .

Attachments

• image-3016523184.jpg
    image-3016523184.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 129
I wish there were I ordered a hole saw bit for the bulkheads and am waiting for them to come in. Have to build an overflow box yet and a stand, and then I can start cycling

Turns out they came in today yay. Does anyone have any thoughts or input about an overflow box? I'm much cheap to buy the ones I can find in stores, and not quite proficient enough to work with lexan.
I've been thinking about threading an elbow into the bulkhead with a piece of PVC pipe going up to the top of the tank.

Any drawbacks to that as opposed to a larger box?

And I'm unsure on what species I want to house in this setup.
I know I'm not idiot enough to get a blue ringed, but does anyone know which type may be more social?

For sure following a long. Octopi are so cool. Can't wait to see this!

Although many medical and scientific names tend to be Latin, for which the “i” ending is the correct plural (e.g., bronchus and bronchi), the name octopus comes from Greek roots ( okt = eight, and pous = foot), and should not be pluralized in the same way. Technically, the proper pluralization of the “-us” ending for a Greek-root word such as octopus should be the suffix “-odes”, but octopodes is generally considered a bit of a mouthful, and in both the Oxford Dictionary and among the scientific community, the most common pluralization of octopus is simply “octopuses.” Even though this could be considered equally incorrect by purists, it is certainly preferable to the Latin pluralization of a Greek root in the obviously incorrect form “octopi.”

Too bad they don't cater to Canadians to be honest I don't know any online site that does.

Well I goes I should get my carpenter hands together and build me a stand. Maybe next week ill have a free day

Back
Top Bottom