72 bowfront in the works........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The guy at my LFS gave me a stand for a 72 bowfront tank for what it cost to have it shipped (it was scratched up on the bottom a little bit and when he got it replaced the truck driver told him to keep it) anywho, I want MH lights for it but the price is killing me on these things..... I would need 500 watts of light on it to do what I want with the tank and thats going to be over $500.... witch I know isn't bad, but I'll get everything else (tank skimmer stand hood rock substrate and whatever else) needed to start for about the same so I guess I'm being cheap, but is there any kind of low price option as far as MH lighting goes? If it's better just to go ahead and pony up the cash I can deal with that, but I would like to hear if there is a more cost effective option.

thanks for any replies in advance!

I have facing the same problem with my 72gal. BF as well. I really want to upgrade to MH. You can save some money by DIY but I would rather just buy a complete fixture and be done with it. Given the 72 is an odd shape I am having some trouble finding a fixture that will fit on the top. I am going to end up hanging one from the ceiling.

the 72 bow is 48 inches right? that's how big the stand I have is, and it's for a 72 bowfront...... I really want one of those coralife fixtures with the MH and PC combined, and the guy at the fishstore let me see his price for it yesterday and it's still almost $600...... Sigh....

They are 48in. as well. The lenght is not hte problem, its the width. The Coralife 48in Aqualight Pro is 15 inches, our tanks are only 13, so the supplied mounting legs will not work. Coralife does make a component to suspend the light from the ceiling however.

I just purchased this fixture two weeks ago. I have a solution for the width problem. You can mount the legs backwards so that they angle inwards instead of outwards. I know it's hard to visualize, but once you have them in your hands it makes sense. I have a 72G bowfront as well and my fixture is sitting on top very nicely. And, for what it's worth, that is an incredible light. I couldn't be happier with it. HTH

tripper

so with the light on the top, you can't have a canopy?

That is correct. Because the front corner of the fixture extends out past the bow, you would not be able to fit a canopy over it unless you altered the canopy in some fashion. I was using a canopy over my tank until i got this fixture, but don't use it anymore. I think i like the open look.

tripper

::: sigh :::

I may have to fish only with this one unless I can figure out a way to hang some pendants in the canopy...... I might try to go with 2 250w aquamedic pendants if I can figure out a way to conceal them in the canopy.....

BTW the canopy is my wife's idea, not mine

I too couldn't find a proper metal halide lighting system for my 72 bow. I did not want to hang something from the ceiling and I need to have my glass cover on to prevent evaporation (I don't have much time to top it off).

What I ended up doing was getting a Current USA Orbit 4 x 65w + moonlight fixture ($270 shipped) and a Current USA Satellite 4 x 65w + moonlight fixture ($220 shipped). This gives me a total of 520 watts of daylight and actinic lighting plus the moonlights. The Orbit fixture sits on its mounts and the Satellite fixture sits in front over the tank/glass. It works well.

I think I am going with a light from hamilton technologies I'm pretty sure it will fit under the canopy

Back
Top Bottom