75/90/110g moving up questions regarding ammonia etc.?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReverentCowboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a 75g new tank and stand from Petsmart for $315 total. I realized afterwards that a Tropical Aquarium place an hour away from me sells a 75 gallon deep blue tank for $110 when i paid $175 on sale for a Topfin. I am thinking I can use same footprint and go to a 90G for $185-Deep Blue or $235 for Marineland Perfecto or a 110g which is taller at 30" instead of 21" and 24" resepectively for the 75g and 90g. The 110g is $304 for Deep Blue (DB) and $377 for Marineland Perfecto (MLPF.) Only difference from what I gather is the silicone is black on DB and clear on the MLPF tank. Not sure if there is more Iron in glass on Deep Blue as opposed to MLPF which apparently gives off a greenish tint to the water. Anyways here is my question???
I was told by a sales girl at Tropical Aquarium in Ocean NJ that going up to the 90g would be okay with African Cichlid fish tank but the 110g would give me more headache and work with water changes and adding solutions that it may not be a good idea. She said with the surface area of the 48" x 18" tank that the height of 30" causes situations with having cichlids? She said that the 90g tank would be okay bc at only 24" height it wouldnt cause any extra problems but the added height of 30" for the 110 g tank would give me extra work with many more water changes being needed and a lot of chemicals needing to be added. She said the extra height wouldnt be necessary with the Cichlids and that 90g would be fine.
If I wanted to go to 150 gallon setup which has 48" length and 24 depth and 30" height I would be okay bc of the extra surface area of the 24" depth of the tank opposed to the 18" depth of the 110g tank. Being that I have no recent experience setting up fish tanks and my last tank i was only a teenager I am learning as I go. I would rather set it up from the getgo right if I can. For $630 I can get a 150 gallon tank and stand and light right now. That is only $315 more than I paid for the 75g setup. I actually dropped $490 at petsmart when you add in the substrate, wood and backing that I bought with it. I would rather maximize my dollar for the real estate I am taking up in my house. The location can accomadate a 5' foot length tank and 24" depth without protruding and blocking the window near it. So If i am basically taking up the same space as a 75 g i dont mind spending an extra few hundred if it is going to look that much better. The 110g will cost me $305 for tank and either $215 for R&J custom Empire stand on sale or $265 for Marineland venner stand. SO the 110g is getting near the 150g cost.

Wither way Im looking at an Fluval 406 or Cascade 1500 with 75g or above. I possibly may need more expensive filter for the larger tank which increased cost even more.
Is it necessary to buy larger than the 75gallon that I already bought or will I be content with this setup for years to come. I have no clue as I only owned a 30gallon tank when i was younger.
I need to get things right as I already purchased a Eheim Jager 250 watt heater and Marineland Emperor 400 thinking I was buying a 60 setup. I had not clue what fish i was going with when i purchased them. I was told I needed to figure out fish first then go from there so from speaking and reading about it I am thinking the African Cichlids will give me the salt like color and activity I am looking for.
At this point I already purchase a 40g breeder, stand, and light (still need lid.) I also have the 75 g and stand I got 2 days ago. I am just itching to build a stand and start the tank already to get the water cycle going but I am trying to be patient and make sure Im not leaving 20 or 40 gallons on the table for only $100-$170 more. Anyone's insight is appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom