75 gallon BUILD! -Heera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heera

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone,
After 7 months into the hobby the bug thad sting me again.Taking a leap for a 75 gallon reef tank.

As some of you know yellow tang, royal gramma, cleaner wrasse and 3 green chromis had fallen in my lap. I had 2 clowns and a chromis before with a pistol shrimp. All in a 30 gallon tank. They r all doing good but crowded.After trying to Rehome them. I have decided to just upgrade. Also want a pacific regal tang later and that's it for stocking.

I have 4 feet of space available. I was just looking and talked to someone today with a 75 gallon tank/ stand(pic) sitting in a garage for $200.

Equipment; have
I only have about 40-50 lbs of live rock and sand is barely an inch in my current tank. CCS65 skimmer, aquaclear 300 sponge HOB and marineland 170b hob, 36" nova extreme lights (2x10k,2xattenic) I just bought, tunze6202, maxijet powerheads + 150w jäger heater.

Let me know if all this will work on the new tank or what I need to upgrade.

Oh I do have some corals as in pics.

Chime in with all u can from prep work on stand and tank to moving things over. I have no idea how to so need tons of help.

I am getting the tank on Monday.

Attachments

• image-2759211929.jpg
    image-2759211929.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 295
  • image-943927212.jpg
    image-943927212.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 282
  • image-2361047896.jpg
    image-2361047896.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 257
  • image-4113169270.jpg
    image-4113169270.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 271
  • image-176816917.jpg
    image-176816917.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 267
  • image-1186355376.jpg
    image-1186355376.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 257
Make sure and clean the sand diligently before placing in the new tank, also scrub the crap outta the new tank (use vinegar). Check new tank for leaks, get another 15-20 lbs of rock and. Enough sand for 3-4 inch dsb. I'm not sure on the filtration and what not but you may wanna invest in another heater.

huma-huma said:
Make sure and clean the sand diligently before placing in the new tank, also scrub the crap outta the new tank (use vinegar). Check new tank for leaks, get another 15-20 lbs of rock and. Enough sand for 3-4 inch dsb. I'm not sure on the filtration and what not but you may wanna invest in another heater.

Clean the sand I have in my current tank?? Why. Or u mean clean the sand I will buy?
Can I mix the aragonite sand I have with crushed coral sand as substrate???

Clean the new tank I will (well old tank but new to me). Anything I can use to seal the stand? In my experience the salt gets behind paint and it comes off.
I do have another 250w heater sitting around that I will use.

If you are replacing the sand then youre set. If you want to use any of your old sand then that has to be rinsed. :)

Congrats on an upgrade! It's always so exciting isnt it? LOL

Also, saw you want another tang, and sorry to say, but I think you will be tanged up with your current yellow one. :-(

Yeah any old sand you're using from your current tank will need to be rinsed well. Once you disturb it, it can release harmful chems into the water (and when you rinse it, you'll def see some nasty color water) just simply place a little bit in a bucket, fill with clean water, stir around and drain off the water, repeat till water is clear. And you'll be ok to mix the sand;). (I mixed play sand with the live sand in my 125) use as many coats of polyurethane as possible to seal the stand, even the inside needs it

carey said:
If you are replacing the sand then youre set. If you want to use any of your old sand then that has to be rinsed. :)

Congrats on an upgrade! It's always so exciting isnt it? LOL

Also, saw you want another tang, and sorry to say, but I think you will be tanged up with your current yellow one. :-(

Moving everything :( fun!

I love the yellow tang. In my friends tank for now. He said he bullies everyone at eating time, is that normal? He say when he cruise his 125g everyone gets out of the way.
I read Regal Tangs are more peaceful so was looking to switch. Let me know ur thoughts?

So the hardware is good, right?

huma-huma said:
Yeah any old sand you're using from your current tank will need to be rinsed well. Once you disturb it, it can release harmful chems into the water (and when you rinse it, you'll def see some nasty color water) just simply place a little bit in a bucket, fill with clean water, stir around and drain off the water, repeat till water is clear. And you'll be ok to mix the sand;). (I mixed play sand with the live sand in my 125) use as many coats of polyurethane as possible to seal the stand, even the inside needs it

Thanks,
Will wash the sand.
Oh so I can use play sand??? Wouldn't it lower the ph?. Thought u could only use ocean sand?
Speaking of ocean sand, can I use beach sand? Allowed as long it's not commercial use under ton.
Where do u get the sealant polyurethane?

I looked at homedepot white play sand.
Reviewer says,"passed the vinegar test....it did dissolve about 80%, more like silca than play sand....good for aquarium..."

What???

You can def use play sand or pool filter sand in place of the "live" sand..its a lot cheaper.. And you prob won't see any ill affects from it either. I would steer clear of actual beach sand (I know I know) the reason is because you never truly know what's in that sand as far as chem, contaminants, bodily fluids, and also not every beach is natural... I've heard of some places actually using manufactured sand to either replace or build up their beaches. There's an ongoing debate as to the silica content of some manufactured sand....some say it can be released into the water and harm fish, some say it can't......I personally haven't seen any ill affects. I havenm
't heard of the vinegar test for sand but you just have to make sure its chem free....no mildew resistors, nothing at all. If you're moving over live rock from a current tank...you may avoid a full cycle, but keep an eye on it for a few days before moving the fish. You can find poly sealant at your home depot or lowes..perhaps even walmart

I looked it up. It says vinegar will cause the silca sand to dissolve. If u see bubbles it's good sand.

Decisions. Decisions. Decisions....

Anyone out there have pool or filter sand in the tank???

I personally mixed in 50lbs of play sand into the already est sand of my 125... Clear sailing so far

carey said:
I have 250lbs of pool s=filter sand in my 125g. No problems so far.

What brand or grain size of sand is it?where u got it?

The store told me PFS have sharp edges so will hurt snails and sand sifting goby.

I got my PFS from home depot, 50lbs for $4. I like the consistency of the sand, it's not too big and not too small. I looked at play sand and thought it ws too small of a grain.

carey said:
I got my PFS from home depot, 50lbs for $4. I like the consistency of the sand, it's not too big and not too small. I looked at play sand and thought it ws too small of a grain.

When and where homedepot?
My local homedepot said they don't carry PFS. Pool stores have 40lbs for $25.

I will try going over the border and see if they have it?

When and where homedepot?
My local homedepot said they don't carry PFS. Pool stores have 40lbs for $25.

I will try going over the border and see if they have it?
crap, sorry to hear that... you mineaswell have someone ship it to ya from the states

Back
Top Bottom