75 gallon conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pcas3

Aquarium Advice Regular
My friend has a 75 gallon freshwater aquarium with a sand substrate. He has a power head in it right now. He wants to convert to saltwater. Does he have to completely clean out the tank or can he use the same sand? Sorry if some of these questions seem stupid just wanting to know what he needs

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yup, he will need to empty and clean it completely - the bacteria in saltwater is different to fresh and it's also recommended to use Ro-di water to fill the tank (not tap)

Also what is better for a saltwater this size a canister filter or a refugium

The sand used in freshwater tanks isn't ideal for saltwater. It's full of silica, and has no buffering capacity

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

With the sump. Do you prefer to buy one or make your own? And I don't quite understand the different between a sump and refugium. Again I'm still learning so be patient lol

A sump is where you keep your filtering water. My first stage is center (sock) baffled into the right (protein skimmer) then baffled again under to the return pump where I run chemipure. An excellent local fish store is a must.

A refugium contains active algae, sometimes in the sump or somewhere in the filtration chain, which helps to remove dissolved organic compounds naturally. It's another step to keep your tank clean.

PS a sump can be a refugium as well, I just run mine with socks. My fish would relocate if I stopped feeding them like I do....

Would a wet dry with bioballs do the same instead of having a refugium with actual algae

Back
Top Bottom