75 Gallon, here we go!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arinon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Finally picked up a 75g tank (48x18x20) the other day at a LFS and ordered just about everything else I need online. Picked up some black textured paint for the back as I’ve seen a few pics floating around here and it looks much better then most backgrounds. Once everything else gets here I should be ready for water, and as I have access to a cycled 30g I’m hoping the fishless cycle will only take 1-2 weeks. So it’s almost game time! But of course still have a few questions for setting things up and maintaining.

1) Lighting. Tank came with a really basic lightstrip. 1 48” Eclipe ‘Daylight’ T10 40W bulb. This will have to do for now. I’d like to do some low/mid light plants (No CO2) but unless I’m mistaken I’m looking at buying a new strip/balast or some serious DYI to take it up past 1 WPG? I find lighting in general really confusing but I won’t be buying another strip for some time.

2) Plants and Cycling. Does the addition of plants during a fishless cycle effect things at all? Can they go in right away or do you need to wait till afterwards? My armchair science says it might mess things up if the plants are soaking up ammonia.

3) PWC. I understand you can treat the tank (with Prime or some such) then just add the water, but where should this water come from? Can you take it right from the tap provided you know the parameters? Stupid question I know, but the reason I ask is that couldn’t this mess with the temperature a lot? Or do you have to have the water sit somewhere beforehand? 30g of water is not a trival amount to find room for.

4) Substrate. Think I’m going with PFS and mix in something black of similar size. I see Tahitian Moonsand and some sandblasting sand thrown around a bit, but how MUCH would I need for the 48x18 footprint for 2”-3”. Thinking 50lbs of PFS and maybe half that much of the black?

5) Stocking. By far the most important part but I’m still up in the air for a lot of it. I have 2 fish earmarked as more or less must-haves.

Bala Sharks (3)
Yoyo Loachs (4-6)

Now let me preface the Balas with the caveat that I understand they may outgrow the tank, but I’m perfectly willing to relocate them should that happen. Either to LFS or depending on the timeframe involved, a larger tank.

Having said that, some other fish I have kinda taken a shine to are Otos, SAE, small Pleco of some sort, Cory Cats, and BGK. Any suggestions? TIA

Arinon said:
Finally picked up a 75g tank (48x18x20) the other day at a LFS and ordered just about everything else I need online. Picked up some black textured paint for the back as I’ve seen a few pics floating around here and it looks much better then most backgrounds. Once everything else gets here I should be ready for water, and as I have access to a cycled 30g I’m hoping the fishless cycle will only take 1-2 weeks. So it’s almost game time! But of course still have a few questions for setting things up and maintaining.

1) Lighting. Tank came with a really basic lightstrip. 1 48” Eclipe ‘Daylight’ T10 40W bulb. This will have to do for now. I’d like to do some low/mid light plants (No CO2) but unless I’m mistaken I’m looking at buying a new strip/balast or some serious DYI to take it up past 1 WPG? I find lighting in general really confusing but I won’t be buying another strip for some time.

2) Plants and Cycling. Does the addition of plants during a fishless cycle effect things at all? Can they go in right away or do you need to wait till afterwards? My armchair science says it might mess things up if the plants are soaking up ammonia.

3) PWC. I understand you can treat the tank (with Prime or some such) then just add the water, but where should this water come from? Can you take it right from the tap provided you know the parameters? Stupid question I know, but the reason I ask is that couldn’t this mess with the temperature a lot? Or do you have to have the water sit somewhere beforehand? 30g of water is not a trival amount to find room for.

4) Substrate. Think I’m going with PFS and mix in something black of similar size. I see Tahitian Moonsand and some sandblasting sand thrown around a bit, but how MUCH would I need for the 48x18 footprint for 2”-3”. Thinking 50lbs of PFS and maybe half that much of the black?

5) Stocking. By far the most important part but I’m still up in the air for a lot of it. I have 2 fish earmarked as more or less must-haves.

Bala Sharks (3)
Yoyo Loachs (4-6)

Now let me preface the Balas with the caveat that I understand they may outgrow the tank, but I’m perfectly willing to relocate them should that happen. Either to LFS or depending on the timeframe involved, a larger tank.

Having said that, some other fish I have kinda taken a shine to are Otos, SAE, small Pleco of some sort, Cory Cats, and BGK. Any suggestions? TIA
#1 try some java ferns and/or java moss
#2 far as i know you can add plants anytime...
#3 treat the water with prime and try to match the temp from the faucet as close as possible. Do you have a python gravel vac? for a 75 it would be nice...
#4 about a 100-150 pound of substrate depending on grain size should give you a nice 3 inch depth

if you can use the filter from the 30 gal on the 75 for a few weeks along with the filter you intend to use on the 75, this should greatly shorten or even eliminate your cycle.
I just up graded to a 75 myself, i moved plants, driftwood, "crap from gravel" and HOB filter from my 28 gal. fish are in a doing good, never had a cycle, all my parameters are exactly the same as was in the 28 before the move. did the same thing when i upgrade to the 28 from a 10... :D

You seem like you are on top of things.

Plants can go in during the cycle.

PWC. You can take from tap and put it right in if you treat with prime. If not, chlorine takes 24 hrs to go away, and chloramine does not go away. You should be fine.

How are you cycling?

I think 2 50 lbs. all together is enough IMO

Yo Yo's are great fish. One of my favorite. You have a ton of options with a 75. Bala's will probably get just a tad to big for the 75. Look into tropical, semi-aggressive, aggressive.

Personally I would do a cichlid tank, however you have a lot of options.

Hope this helped

Planned on cycling with just straight up ammonia after I track some down. Just going to use some gravel or decorations from the other tank (not mine) to help it along.

Balas get too large for a 75g. A BGK gets pretty large also, though I think it will be ok in that size tank. It shouldn't be kept with fish that are small enough for it to eat though.

I personally love community tanks, so I'll suggest a couple big schools of tetras, 2-4 angels, some cories, SAEs, and ottos.

With that lighting you are limited to java fern, java moss, and anubias...its too low for anything else. Medium light plants won't grow in really low light.

Lighting shouldn't be a problem for you in the future. With an 18" width, you could probably slap down 6 4' tubes down no problem. Of course, if you want to stay lower, 3 4' tubes will keep you under 2 WPG and you shouldn't need CO2 then. That should be simple to get, just buy a double strip meant for a 55 gallon and use it with your current strip.

Adding plants to a tank early is actually really good for the tank. If you plant a tank heavy enough...er...might be hard for a 75 gallon...you don't even need to cycle it. The plants will take up most of the NH3. Whats left over will not be enough to affect your fish.

Crypts might also grow with that low of light, but with PFS, you'll probably need root tabs.

After looking around a bit for something a little smaller to take the place of Balas I came across the Denison Barb (Redline Shark?). I should be able to run 3-5 of these guys much easier with less problems. I hope.

Are these a reasonably common fish?

Arinon said:
After looking around a bit for something a little smaller to take the place of Balas I came across the Denison Barb (Redline Shark?). I should be able to run 3-5 of these guys much easier with less problems. I hope.

Are these a reasonably common fish?

I have never seen them at my LFS, but liveaquaria.com has them at the price of $24, you would be looking to spend $120 for five. :)

Ouch! Not looking to spend that for my first fish.

I'm basically looking for a social, schooling fish, that gets 5"-7" and has the shark/torpedo shape, and is an active mid/top swimmer.

Denison's barbs are some lovely fish...but not very common and when you do find them, prepare to pay some money for them. I wish I could find some!

How about rainbowfish? Bosemani and Turquoise rainbows get around 4 inches and they are very colorful and active. They don't have a shark look though....but do look interesting.

Pictures:
Click
More of a torpedo shape
another

Back
Top Bottom