75 gallon new setup questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrMike2u

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Been into fresh water tanks for over 20 years. Taking the plunge into my first saltwater tank. I have a 75 gallon tank with about 100 lbs of live rock and 80 lbs of live sand. With 2 circulation korline 400 pumps moving water it's been running a few days now. My tank is not drilled. Wanted some advice on a filter system that will work for me. I'm starting out with fowlr for now, until I get the filtration system purchased and running then I'll buy a good light and introduce some reef items. I just want to start slow do to the cost... I was kinda rushed into tank, rock and sand it was a take now deal for $250. Live rock and sand was in an established tank for past 5+ years. Thanks

I'am going to assume the tank is cycled, I would start with a test kit for saltwater. What type of coral are you thinking of? For lights id go with LED's the cost of bulbs made me change over ($80 every 8-10 months) Taotronics $120 for 10 years of life hard to beat

Filter are you thinking a sump? You'l need a HOB overflow a return pump as well as plumbing. With the live rock you have now you can get buy with just water changes and a HOB filter, you wont even need a skimmer but it will help you out in the long run. At some point you'll want a RO/DI unit as very clean water is needed for most coral You should be using RO/DI for top offs as well as water changes

No tank is not cycled yet, Only been filled for a few days I still have weeks I imagine till it cycles. I just wanted to start planning ahead with my filter system knowing its not going to be cheap.

so I will need a overflow and a sump what size brand etc any recommendations on something easy to clean and maintain. thanks

Okay then you've got plenty of time For an overflow these are some of the best
Deluxe CPR Continuous Siphon Overflows - Bulk Reef Supply Just be sure to match the return pump to the overflow If it drains 1000gph you want a return pump of 1000gph or less

For a sump your gonna want to go with as large a one as will fit under your stand Cheapest way is to build your own (easy to do) A 20L would work, even better is a 40gl breeder tank lots of room in them Im using a 55gl for mine

Okay then you've got plenty of time For an overflow these are some of the best
Deluxe CPR Continuous Siphon Overflows - Bulk Reef Supply Just be sure to match the return pump to the overflow If it drains 1000gph you want a return pump of 1000gph or less

For a sump your gonna want to go with as large a one as will fit under your stand Cheapest way is to build your own (easy to do) A 20L would work, even better is a 40gl breeder tank lots of room in them Im using a 55gl for mine

I have a 40 breeder and it will fit under my stand what model # Deluxe CPR Continuous Siphon Overflow you think I should get and what size return pump.

I have a 40 breeder and it will fit under my stand what model # Deluxe CPR Continuous Siphon Overflow you think I should get and what size return pump.

I seen a kit to divide my breeder on ebay but it won't let me post the link to show you..

I like a low flow through my sump more dwell time so the skimmer works better Id go with the CS 90 and a mag 9.5 return pump Bulk Reef Supply - Search Results for magdrive 9.5 There will be some head loss so the pump will be ok with that overflow.

Those divider kits are a nice easy way to build a sump you'll need to add one more pane of glass to make a third chamber if you want a fuge 1st Intake 2nd fuge then return

I like a low flow through my sump more dwell time so the skimmer works better Id go with the CS 90 and a mag 9.5 return pump Bulk Reef Supply - Search Results for magdrive 9.5 There will be some head loss so the pump will be ok with that overflow.

Those divider kits are a nice easy way to build a sump you'll need to add one more pane of glass to make a third chamber if you want a fuge 1st Intake 2nd fuge then return

ok sounds good, I have 3 feet distance between top of show tank and top of sump tank, so maybe this kit is better picture is attached...so the first chamber I would split the intake and use 2 socks. what goes in the second chamber? and the 3rd will be where the mag return goes ....? thanks mike

Attachments

• 3flow.jpg
    3flow.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 70
ok sounds good, I have 3 feet distance between top of show tank and top of sump tank, so maybe this kit is better picture is attached...so the first chamber I would split the intake and use 2 socks. what goes in the second chamber? and the 3rd will be where the mag return goes ....? thanks mike

also I have 2 koralia circulation pumps 850 gph each 1 mounted on side pointing at front glass and the other mounted on other side pointing at rear glass is this right???? are these pumps big enough for my 75 gallon. here is a pic of my tank setup. one pic of tank and other of tank and future sump. By the way does my live rock look positioned correctly Thanks Mike

Attachments

• salt.jpg
    salt.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 82
  • saltandsump.jpg
    saltandsump.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 92
Do you plan on having coral in the tank. If so you might want to look at a power head controller or a variable power head. Aka wave make, not need this time but something to think about.

I'm in the process of do a 75 show with a home made 40 breeder sump also. My plan is to go with an ecotech marine vortech MP 40 Es propeller pump. It's awesome check it out.

The first chambr is where most put the skimmer 2nd can be used as a fuge most put some marco algae (cheato) you can also put some live rock in there and right 3rd is the return

My power heads are on the ends aimed at the front center pane this way the flows crash into each other creating nice random flows The idea is to keep any detritus suspended so the overflow can remove it I would open the rock up a bit more and make a few caves for the fish to swim through

also I have 2 koralia circulation pumps 850 gph each 1 mounted on side pointing at front glass and the other mounted on other side pointing at rear glass is this right???? are these pumps big enough for my 75 gallon. here is a pic of my tank setup. one pic of tank and other of tank and future sump. By the way does my live rock look positioned correctly Thanks Mike

Ok I moved the rock and made lots of swim holes looks a lot better now. I moved my circulation pumps to rear corners and pointed them to center glass center tank now they in a v flow. now my temp seems to move a lot between 78 and 79.0 at different times I have a digital thermometer what would be the reason is moving so much is it safe could heater be bad???? or is it just because the current in tank? thanks Also are my 2 850 gph heads good enough to move the water?

The temp change could be because of the flow there may have been cold spots in the rock. the power heads are on the low side but will work until you have more demanding coral (SPS) As long as you dont have detritus building up your fine

The temp change could be because of the flow there may have been cold spots in the rock. the power heads are on the low side but will work until you have more demanding coral (SPS) As long as you dont have detritus building up your fine

What gph power heads should I have later?

That will depend on what type of coral you want there's no hard rules just SPS like a fast random flow the rule of thumb for reef tanks is 20-50x tank volume for FOWLR 10-20x My tank is a 180 with a lot of SPS it's 8ft long and i run about 10k gph my water looks like it's boiling lol

That will depend on what type of coral you want there's no hard rules just SPS like a fast random flow the rule of thumb for reef tanks is 20-50x tank volume for FOWLR 10-20x My tank is a 180 with a lot of SPS it's 8ft long and i run about 10k gph my water looks like it's boiling lol

Wow I just bought these so I can exchange if you think I should. Tell me what ones I should get or just wait till I ready and buy new ones send me a pic of your tank mrmike2u@aol.com love to see it.

I'd go with the 1050 or even the 1500's 3000gph sounds like a lot but if you ever dove on a reef you'd be amazed at how much the water moves I'll try and find a decent tank pic

Back
Top Bottom