75 gallon plus SCARED!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VinnyP

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so I recently just started my first saltwater FOWLR and didnt do to much research before i got a 12 gallon tank. So since then i have done so much reading and researching and know bigger is better or (easier). So one day i want to go for a 75 gallon or greater tank but im so scared with all the equipment that i see that goes into these tanks to make them run and the money that goes into them. Doing the refugium and sump and all the plumbing and all that other great stuff that goes under that tank scares the crap out of me because when i see videos there always seems to be so much stuff. So my big question is one day when i get this up and going i really want to just stick with a FOWLR and just get some nice artificial corals to brighten it up but with a tank this big can i just run a hang on the back filtration system or a couple of them along with a hang on the back protein skimmer since i wont be having tons of corals. Please let me know and give me some ideas of what could work, making a simple easy and effective system to run the tank on. Remember im new so help me out. At least im not one of those people that bought my tank and through a bunch of corals and crap like that with out know what they are doing. I really want to do it right when i finally do it one day meanwhile im messing around and having fun with my 12g as of right now. Thanks alot guys

Hello. HOB filter and skimmer is fine for a FO system. Any skimmer is better than no skimmer at all when considering water quality (although it might not make sense for your wallet). Larger tanks do not do well with HOB skimmer or HOB refugium. Bigger is not always when you cannot afford these kinds of things.

If you want to do an easy FOWLR with refugium, then you can try setting up a small tank. Perhaps a 40g tank with live rocks, HOB skimmer, and HOB 5g refugium. No plumbing required.

If you want an easy large FOWLR with refugium system, then you can buy a big tank (75g like you were saying). Then get a HOB overflow (CPR is good) and a prebuilt refugium (such as a eshopps model).

You see people building and plumbing their sumps/refugium together because its saves LOTS of money and everything is built specifically for their system.

Also I started out learning about sumps/refugium and plumbing after reading/answering people's question on this forum (I had to look up the answer on google in order lol). And I also learned when analyzing how the manufacterer's equipment work and reading the reviews. Google is your friend. You'll find most answers faster on google if you think of a good specific question for the search engine.

Back
Top Bottom