75 gallon reef lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bnr911

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to this hobby and starting my first saltwater reef tank. Currently I have a 75 gallon tank. I am being very patient and getting all the supplies that I need before even attempting to start everything. I have been researching like crazy and what I still can't seem to decide on is lighting. I am going to stick to LPS and soft corals. This is what I am looking at right now. My LFS has a used unit (not sure of the brand)that is 48" long that has 4 PC and 2 MH. The other option I was looking at was AquaticLife T5 HO 4-Lamp Light Fixtures w/ Lunar LEDs. I guess my question is, if faced with the choice what would be the best option? :confused:

Thanks for any advice.

The metal halide fixture would be a better fit for a 75 IMO. 2 150+watt halides with PCs for actinic supplementation should be fine.

Having started out with a 4 bulb t-5 fixture on my 75, albeit a cheap one, I wouldn't recommend it. I would look for a 6 bulb fixture to take care of The needs you are looking for.

Thanks for your opinion. I was thinking the MH fixture myself, just really couldn't decide. I'm getting it at a great price too, so that is a plus. I am new to all of this so I am just trying to get a feel for what is the best for long term use. :)

Great prices are always a win. Make sure to ask them how old the halide bulbs are since it is used. Either that, or just spring for new ones to be safe.

I would think twice about the mh lighting, with the depth of that tank Iwould think a 250watt halide would be a better choice. I ran a single 150watt over a 20g tank and wasnt impressed.....

I would think twice about the mh lighting, with the depth of that tank Iwould think a 250watt halide would be a better choice. I ran a single 150watt over a 20g tank and wasnt impressed.....

The lighting fixture would be 4 PC with 2 250W halides in the same unit. Any advice is helpful!

Back
Top Bottom