75 Gallon Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warvillian

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am currently building a 75 Gallon reef tank. I have about 55 pounds of base rock that I can glued/drilled together. I need to add roughly 30 more pounds of live rock. When I get my live rock added into the tank with the dry rock how long will it take for my tank to cycle?

I would have more than that if it is going to be a reef. My tank has about 3 pounds per gallon, I recommend at least 2.

75lbs will be enough rock if thats the look you want. Some tanks cycle in two weeks and some take much longer. Depends how you go about it and how high youe let the ammonia get.

Are you buying dry rock and adding it or curing the rock in a separate tank? You shouldn't add uncured rock to a cycled tank with any livestock in it.

Update with some photos!!!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 94
For the cycle time, I can suggest you to take it slower, you cannot play with the cycle and each time that you are adding live / not cured / dry rock it is like you push a reset button, in terms of the cycle.

mlanda said:
For the cycle time, I can suggest you to take it slower, you cannot play with the cycle and each time that you are adding live / not cured / dry rock it is like you push a reset button, in terms of the cycle.

And you setup looks fantastic!!!!

I agree with the live rock, but he can add all the dry base rock he wants without any cycle damage. Doesn't look like he has any livestock yet though so now is the time to add all the Live rock you want. Will give the cycle a kickstart. LOL

Back
Top Bottom