75 lbs of Fiji live rock....FREE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bassetbros

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got 75 lbs of fiji lr free yesterday!

I ordered 100 lbs of fiji lr from my lfs. This lfs does not carry saltwater livestock so any sw livestock ordered must be picked up upon delivery. That's the reason I get such a good deal through these guys.

Long story short...the lr comes into the lfs in a wet cardboard box, not the styrofoam cooler as expected. The manager of the LFS complains to the supplier saying that the lr was not shipped properly and ends up getting a credit for it. The credit was then passed on to me.

Question: The lr was damp due to the wet cardboard box but not overly moist. I know I'm going to have some die-off but was wondering if you expect anything will survive on it. It was probably out of the water for a couple of hours and is curing as we speak. Another customer (very experienced in sw fishkeeping) that was there at the time said I would probably be suprised at the recovery of the "critters" on the rock.

I would probably be suprised at the recovery of the "critters" on the rock.
I agree. It may take some time for things to come around, but pods, etc. are surprisingly tough. It would be beneficial to do some water changes while the rock is curing to keep ammonia, nitrite down. Good luck

LR is alive with lots of critters and like the others said you will be suprized. Most LR is shipped damp with just wet newspaper on it.. What we really need the LR for is natural filtration a place where bacteria can grow. So and added life like crabs, snails is just a added bonus. You got a real nice deal there... good for you.
You know, You will be spending that money saved on LR some where else soon :)

New to the saltwater thing but wont even base rock start to grow bacteria one it has been put in a cycled tank???

r6mason said:
New to the saltwater thing but wont even base rock start to grow bacteria one it has been put in a cycled tank???

Base rock will grow bacteria in a cycled tank but you get no critters from it alone.. HTH

Back
Top Bottom