90 gallon reef equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone, I wanted some advice on 90 gallon reef equipment. I'm currently running a 55g reef with 20g sump. I'm ready for that next leap. Please let me know what you think.

1.90 gallon Reef tank, "DRILLED"
2.40 gallon Breeder sump, assuming I have the right stand for it
3.Lights, Kissel AW360. I already have 1, I would get a 2nd for this.
4.Skimmer, I'm very open to suggestions on this. I would like a good one.
5.Return pump. I currently have an Aqua Top 607 for my 55g, any recommendations?
6.Powerheads, what kind and how many? I currently have 2 Hydor 1050s. Can these still be used?
7.Heaters, how many? I have one 150W heater, will I need to add a 2nd?

8. I consider the above, the bare essentials. UV, reactors, wavemakers, I see as secondary, but would still like to hear your opinions.

If anyone here has a 90, what is the rate of evaporation on a tank this big? I would plan to have glass or acrylic top.

Thanks

I have a 110 gal XH which is the same foot print, just a couple inches taller. I love the picture frame aspect to the tank, but I hate doing stuff in the tank, especially near the bottom.

As for filtration, I used to run a SRO 2000 skimmer, but a few months ago I switched to an algae turf scrubber system and I am much happier for it. Algae problems I suffered for over a year have been eradicated (I love that) and there is NO pump needed for the scrubber, and with no skimmer, the sump is much much quieter (my wife loves that).
My return is a Mag 12, due mainly to the higher headloss with these tall tanks.
I ran 3xKorila 1400 pumps and a 750, all hooked to a reefmaster wavemaker. The constant cycling to the pumps broke them all ( I like the oscillating flow patterns)
So I just got a Jabao RW8, which is underpowered for the tank. I'll be adding a second RW8 or RW15 in the near future.

Heaters depends on where you are, but 150Watts might be too small. I have 2x300watt (primary and a back-up 2 degrees cooler), but I live in Canada.

For evap, I get about 1 gal per day. An ATO is essential I think.

I have a 110 gal XH which is the same foot print, just a couple inches taller. I love the picture frame aspect to the tank, but I hate doing stuff in the tank, especially near the bottom.

As for filtration, I used to run a SRO 2000 skimmer, but a few months ago I switched to an algae turf scrubber system and I am much happier for it. Algae problems I suffered for over a year have been eradicated (I love that) and there is NO pump needed for the scrubber, and with no skimmer, the sump is much much quieter (my wife loves that).
My return is a Mag 12, due mainly to the higher headloss with these tall tanks.
I ran 3xKorila 1400 pumps and a 750, all hooked to a reefmaster wavemaker. The constant cycling to the pumps broke them all ( I like the oscillating flow patterns)
So I just got a Jabao RW8, which is underpowered for the tank. I'll be adding a second RW8 or RW15 in the near future.

Heaters depends on where you are, but 150Watts might be too small. I have 2x300watt (primary and a back-up 2 degrees cooler), but I live in Canada.

For evap, I get about 1 gal per day. An ATO is essential I think.

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely look into those items. I forgot to mention that I already have a Hydor ATO. I would need a bigger container than a 5g bucket for that kind of evaporation. I want it to last at least a week before I need to refill it.

Hello everyone, I wanted some advice on 90 gallon reef equipment. I'm currently running a 55g reef with 20g sump. I'm ready for that next leap. Please let me know what you think.

1.90 gallon Reef tank, "DRILLED"
2.40 gallon Breeder sump, assuming I have the right stand for it
4.Skimmer, I'm very open to suggestions on this. I would like a good one.
5.Return pump. I currently have an Aqua Top 607 for my 55g, any recommendations?
6.Powerheads, what kind and how many? I currently have 2 Hydor 1050s. Can these still be used?
7.Heaters, how many? I have one 150W heater, will I need to add a 2nd?

8. I consider the above, the bare essentials. UV, reactors, wavemakers, I see as secondary, but would still like to hear your opinions.

If anyone here has a 90, what is the rate of evaporation on a tank this big? I would plan to have glass or acrylic top.

Thanks

1 - That the same size I have :)
2 - Unless you plan to have the 40b kept separate from the tank and stand it won't fit. With them being the same width there won't be enough space to fit it beneath the tank with the stand remaining structurally sound assuming it's not a custom designed stand.
3 - Not familiar with those light systems. I use 2x Taotronics for mine.
4 - Reef octopus is the way to go. My refugium is too tall for me to fit a skimmer in the fuge (I have a 29g fuge) so I use a reef octopus HOB skimmer.
5 - Danner supreme mag drive pumps are exellent. They offer a good flow rate and handle head height exceptionally well. Just get one that will give you an approximate flow rate equal to the drain rate of your tank. It will vary depending on how you plumb it.
6 - I run 2 hydor koralia 240s and a Jaebo WP40. Just shoot for 10x - 40x the tank volume per hour in flow and you will do just fine.
7 - 2 heaters are better than one. I use Eheim Jaegar for mine and they work excellently.
8 - All that stuff is optional. Not necessary at all but nice to have. I would worry about getting the tank up and running and then down the line you can add other things as is needed.
9 - I have about 1 gallon per day of evaporation. It levels out to about half a gallon per day in the summer but I live in Michigan and it's really humid.

I didn't read all replies so forgive me if repeating, but figured I toss out my 2 cents:

1.90 gallon Reef tank, "DRILLED" - Nice size tank!
2.40 gallon Breeder sump, assuming I have the right stand for it - I think it'll be really tough to get a 40 breeder in unless you get a custom stand.
4.Skimmer, I'm very open to suggestions on this. I would like a good one. I have owned bubble magus and Reef Octopus. Both are ok -- the reef octopus is far superior, but the cost is slightly higher.
5.Return pump. I currently have an Aqua Top 607 for my 55g, any recommendations? - I really like the Eheim Pumps. They are quiet and reliable -- assuming you are planning on a submerged pump and not an external.
6.Powerheads, what kind and how many? I currently have 2 Hydor 1050s. Can these still be used? If you have the cash, I'd go 2 Vortech MP40s. They are great pumps, work well, and keep the clutter out of the tank.
7.Heaters, how many? I have one 150W heater, will I need to add a 2nd? - You want at least two heaters for any reef, so you have redundancy in the event one fails. I would recommend 2 300W heaters, given a total system capacity of 130 gallons.

I really like running Rox Carbon and GFO. It makes a noticeable difference in my reef. I can tell when I get lazy on the media changes. The water is crystal clear with ROX carbon, and PO4 stays at 0 running GFO. UV, I don't think is necessary, JMO. Wavemakers are cool, but if you go for MP40 Wireless models, you have built in wavemaker capability.

Are you planning on an auto top off system? I wouldn't leave home without it. Assume you already have RODI system?

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely look into those items. I forgot to mention that I already have a Hydor ATO. I would need a bigger container than a 5g bucket for that kind of evaporation. I want it to last at least a week before I need to refill it.

Just saw this in reference to ATO - I have built a few of them, and what works REALLY well for a holding tank are RV water tanks. You can get them on ebay up to 30-40 gallons. I have a 15 gallon one on my reef. I painted it black, and it sits to the side of my tank next to my tower stereo speakers, and it looks like a subwolfer. Blends well with the rest of the house.

Something like this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RV-Conc...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a24e960df&vxp=mtr

Just saw this in reference to ATO - I have built a few of them, and what works REALLY well for a holding tank are RV water tanks. You can get them on ebay up to 30-40 gallons. I have a 15 gallon one on my reef. I painted it black, and it sits to the side of my tank next to my tower stereo speakers, and it looks like a subwolfer. Blends well with the rest of the house.

Something like this - New RV Concession camper Fresh Water Tank 16 Gallon | eBay

That is very cool and definitely something to consider. Thanks a lot.

I prefer a 75 gallon over a 90. The same footprint, but easier to reach the bottom, and also less distance for light to travel. You could look into a 105 also. It's 48 x 24 x 21. Now you can fit your 40 breeder in the stand.
What makes skimmers good are the pumps. Air and water draw V.S. electric usage. I'd like to see something that draws 1000 liters of air per hour on this system.

I prefer a 75 gallon over a 90. The same footprint, but easier to reach the bottom, and also less distance for light to travel. You could look into a 105 also. It's 48 x 24 x 21. Now you can fit your 40 breeder in the stand.
What makes skimmers good are the pumps. Air and water draw V.S. electric usage. I'd like to see something that draws 1000 liters of air per hour on this system.

I had considered that. But I'm being reduced to 1 tank. So I need to make this the pride and joy of my hobby. Something big enough to house good corals and medium sized fish.

I'm actually very happy with my 90g. I am just tall enough to reach the bottom without any real difficulty and my lights are overpowered as it is so the light traveling isn't an issue.

I'm actually very happy with my 90g. I am just tall enough to reach the bottom without any real difficulty and my lights are overpowered as it is so the light traveling isn't an issue.

if worse comes to worse, I can always find a box to stand on. lol

Back
Top Bottom