90 gallon start!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khij159753

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today im picking up a 90 gallon aquarium with stand, skimmer, some sort of built in filtration, a "blower" (I'm guessing powerhead), T-5 HO 4-bulb lights, 110lbs of sand, 75lbs of rock, and a heater. All for 350$.

I'm trying to decide If I want to move everything from my 30 gal or just keep 2 tanks.

I think I might move half the stuff over. I honestly don't know if I'll have to wait through a cycle or not but I'll probably have a little one.

I'm just trying to realize my options. I plan to have it be a reef over time.

But definitely wanna look into adding a dwarf flame angel, and maybe a foxface, yellow tang, and i think my tanks too small but would love a blue hippo tang.

Can someone help me figure out what kind of fish Are possible in 90's? I know there's alot more options but there still has to be a line somewhere.

Anyway, any questions opinions comments and anything else are welcome! Thanks!

So after getting it, it's been down for about a week but he's kept the rock live. Unfortunately he kept it outside so it has a few leaves in it :/ should I take out the whole sand bed to remove all the leaves? Or can i just add everything and let the cycle take Care of what's left? I took out all the bigger leaves.

Did he clean the detritus out of the sand if not u should definitely rinse and clean it
I would do it anyway so you know you have a clean start

As for fish in a 90 yellow Yang is OK dwarf angels are fine. Bue hippo tangs get quite large over time if u want one get it small and let it grow you may eventually have to get rid of it just keep it in mind most lfs's will take them once there to large or by then you may have a bigger tank

Reef79 said:
As for fish in a 90 yellow Yang is OK dwarf angels are fine. Bue hippo tangs get quite large over time if u want one get it small and let it grow you may eventually have to get rid of it just keep it in mind most lfs's will take them once there to large or by then you may have a bigger tank

I don't know a ton about saltwater, but I do know those two fish need six foot tanks. Maybe a nice kole tang?

I got some used sand from my LFS and started over with that stuff. And got 90 gallons of saltwater they had been using for a 110 tank they are moving. Got like 50lbs of LR that came with the tank in there and it's all comin together pretty nice. Will fish flake food work as an ammonia source? And there's still diatrus on the sand even though I rinsed it :/ oh well. Hopefully a great clean up crew after the cycle will get rid of that! The waters all cloudy so I'm just waiting for that to settle.

I'm not planning on keeping a blue tang. But I am thinking about a yellow tang. I'd make sure there's plenty of swimming room. I know it's best for. 6th tank but as long as there's a good amount of swimming space he should be okay right? I'm planning on mostly keeping smaller fish but definitely want a couple bigger ones.

Two raw shrimp in a mesh bag will work to make sure your tank cycles. I did pure ammonia (ace hardware janitorial brand) instead of shrimp with very small amount of flake food to cycle the tank. You may have enough die off from your live rock that was sitting outside? Just curious how did they get the tank outside with the water still in it? If it was not filled and the rock dried out ...the rock was not alive... Basic point but I find you shouldn't assume anything...especially when terms used are very vague...IMO

Lol. So the flake food will work? I don't have shrimp right now (note to self: get some shrimp) it was empty tank except for about 2 inches of sand. The live rock was inside in a tub with a heater and a power head. I've had a saltwater tank before but the LR I got before had enough die off to cycle the tank.

:lol: I know how that feels. I tested my water like 3 days a day when my tank was cycling. :D Well, now all my tests are running low...oops

Yeah :p I'll probably test in a day or 2 I should have a pretty quick cycle. I have 50lbs cured liverock, and sand and water from a tank that was getting taken down at my LFS donor could be moved. Was only up like 3 months and I got it for free :) just gonna add 40+lbs of base rock and keep addin a bit of flake food to let it run it's course. :)

Khij159753 said:
Lol. So the flake food will work? I don't have shrimp right now (note to self: get some shrimp) it was empty tank except for about 2 inches of sand. The live rock was inside in a tub with a heater and a power head. I've had a saltwater tank before but the LR I got before had enough die off to cycle the tank.

Sounds like you will have some die off if temp fluctuated in bucket but I would do shrimp to make sure you get some ammonia generated. I think if you use flakes to cycle you get detritus build up in your cycle...mesh bag helps keep it isolated and removable. Sorry about novice type question but ya never know...good luck on your cycle. Let us know how long it takes and what you end up doing. I've never started a tank with all live rock and I am interested to see how long it takes. Good luck in your cycle! Patience is a virtue but man it is tough.

Yeah. My last cycle was pretty short and it was all incited liverock. I'm also adding 40lbs baserock probably tomorrow :) I'm guessing probably around a month :p I already have tons of dietrus I'll have to vacuum up so I'll just do flakes :p and do a good cleaning after the cycle and add a pretty good CUC. I'll make sure to leave enough food for the CUC :)

Haha I'll post a couple when I get home :) it's kinda murky Especially in the built in sump but I'll take some pics :)

Joe I'm just saying... I really hate you right now.... Lmao jk jk. I really wish I could do a bigger tank. Oh the possibilities! Lmao.

Lol! Totally forgot to take pics! Ugh! Remind me tomorrow morning and I will :) then should be able to post tomorrow night :)

Back
Top Bottom