90 gallon what would you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am not sure if I will get it but this summer I may get my 90 gallon tank back from storage...I am thinking about starting a SW tank with it or setting it up as a FW planted again.

The lighting that I already have is 4x65w PC plus LED night lights.

I know I would want lots of LR but not sure what type of fish/inverts I could have. This tank has never been medicated so copper shouldn't be an issue.

(The main reason this is a "maybe" is because we are living in a rental house...so lets keep in mind what would be a nightmare to move in terms of sensitivity.)

So...all you experts...if this was your project what would you do?

A SW reef tank would be nice but with that lighting you would only be able to have moderate light corals. LPS, soft corals and mushrooms and polyps which would still look good.

Can you do a sump under the tank? No biggie if not, but they are nice to have for a SW tank. xtra water volume, place to hide the heater, place to use carbon if needed, etc, etc.

As far as fish, you'll have to first decide if you are going to upgrade lighting for reef. Those 4x65w PCs will give you a few low light pieces you can grow, but with that tank's depth, you might wanna consider T5 or metal halide. T-5's seem to be the lighting of choice these days.

After you decide if yu're doing reef or not, that will determinie which fish you can do.

So, fish or fish and reef?

OK...the lighting can be pretty expensive...can I start with this and upgrade the ligting later on? Seems like I need to have it pretty seasoned to add corals anyway right? I think if my husband can modify the stand (It currently has a center brace that would be in the way) I may have room to use the 55 gal acrylic that is in storage for a sump...it is pretty beat up and scratched so not good for much else anyway at this point...I would definitely prefer to hide things away as much as possible. If not then I am sure I could use a smaller sump on one side.

Until you decide on the lighting, you've got clowns, some wrasses, blennies, gobies, chromis, cardinals. Those are the reef-safe fish that I know of offf the top of my head. The standard hermit crabs and snails, and starfish should be fair game for you also - unless you go with predator fish in a non-reef environment

I have a 90g. I wish I would have gotten it drilled for a sump before starting. Not necessary but probably easier.

Until you decide on the lighting, you've got clowns, some wrasses, blennies, gobies, chromis, cardinals. Those are the reef-safe fish that I know of offf the top of my head. The standard hermit crabs and snails, and starfish should be fair game for you also - unless you go with predator fish in a non-reef environment

Well since those are all my favs that's probably a good way to go. :) And I will think about drilling the tank as well. Probably the best way to go anyway with a sump.

Back
Top Bottom