90g / Triggerfish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeadGame

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Currently setting up 90g (bought on Craigslist) saltwater FOWLR. Just finished removing the calcium off Tank/skimmer/refugium. Currently I am in the process of disinfecting with bleach. Goal: 3 Triggerfish... Possibly the slower growers such as bursa, lunula and huma/Picasso. What do you think?

I wouldn't use bleach:( use vinegar. And I absolutely love triggers, I have a niger trigger and a huma-huma, they are however aggresive and not reef or invert safe, so if you would like to have either coral or inverts, you unfortunately need to make a decision:(

Hello Huma-Huma, thanks for the warm welcome! Yes I plan on doing just those three Triggers with live rock only. I'll prob just add invert to my refugium.

It'll look gorgeous, esp with the huma and bursa, you should take a look at the pineapple trigger if you haven't seen it, has some cool coloring as well

I'll look into the pineapple trigger as well. Another reason I picked these
are that their max size is at most 9 or 10". I would've loved a Niger but their max size is much more

Yeah the niger def wouldn't have been on my stock list, but he came with the tank setup when I bought it. I'm soo glad he did too, absolutely grgeous and changes color from day to day

Ohh and just a lil piece of advice, they more than likely will nibble at your fingers, and when they actually bite, its not fun :( my niger got me when I wasn't looking, didn't draw blood though

From reading online, the Niger should get at least 15-20" and the Huma 9-12". I'm hoping 3 full grown Triggers at 9" will do fine in my 90g. I do plan on getting them small.

Yeah they will be perfect:) they do like to swim back and forth A LOT, my niger doesn't stop all day, from end to end

I wouldn't do more than 2, then only if it's them (maybe a bottom dweller; goby, etc). I have a humu in a 90. Bully, very fun to watch but when it comes feeding time it's a hassle. Sometimes have to chase him away w/ a stick to get food to some of the others, esp my gobies.

They are characters though

Thinking of picking 2 out of the Lunula, Assassi and Humu. I'd like to add a snowflake and a puffer. I'm starting to like the wrasse as well.

Yeah the huma is a bit of a bully, but then again I believe all triggers are.. I use a glove and a full-sized turkey baster to target feed my goby...biggest fish in the tank and he's a wimp

Yeah and although it's beautiful (Humu) it's quite common. I may just go with Assassi and lunula.

Idk about it being commonm I mean I'm sure it is to some extent but he's a very bright addition to a predator tank....which isn't common

Back
Top Bottom