A few questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morrigan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've desided to take the plunge into sw, I've had freshwater before, but I'd like to try something alittle different. However, before I go out and buy everything I do have a few questions.
1. I'm looking at 2 tanks right now, a 55 gal and a 120 gal, I know "bigger is better" but is 120 to big to start out with?
2. I'm leaning towards the 120, and I'm going to do a berlin style smup, is 30 gal for the sump enough? Also, how much live rock and sand should I get for the sump, and how much lr for the tank. Or is there and easy conversion, i.e. 1# rock for every gal...?
3. I plan on starting with a fo tank and when everything has been good for a few months I'd like to move it to reef, so is it just fine to supplement the lr, sand and skimmer in the sump with another filter to help take care of the material waste? If so, and suggestions?
....I had more questions, but I've forgotten them, I'll post them up when I remember. :}

I remebered one...
4. I've read that 18in. is the limit, but is 24in. to deep for adaquate lighting to get to corals and the such?

Go with the biggest tank that you can afford (trust me!) Make sure that it is RR (overflow boxes built in) a 30 gal sump will be fine. I had to upgrade from a 55 to a 90 and it wasn't fun. with the 120 you will still have the same 4' footprint so light will cost you only a little bit more. You will need more wattage because of the depth of the lights (I woud recomend 2x250 MH right from the start)

As for the the LR really depends on the type of rock that you get
i.e fiji is more porus and light then Keys rock. I have 140# of keys rock in my 90. So I would look at between 1 to 1.5# per gallon. Plus your tank will be much wider 2ft in depth so you may need a little bit more

the Skimmer(are you saying you want to wait to get the skimmer) if so that is OK, but I would really recomed that you get one. And make sure it is the best one you can get do go cheap with a skimmer.

HTH

Morrigan said:
I remebered one...
4. I've read that 18in. is the limit, but is 24in. to deep for adaquate lighting to get to corals and the such?

You will be glad if you go with the 24" deep tank. if will give you more room to aquascape. Plus a MH has a 2'x2' foot print some to MH would work just fine. It is the depth that you have to worry about and that tank I think is the same as mine wich it 24"( I think) but MH would be ok for that too..

skimmers to avoid: seaclone. red sea's prizm will be too small for 55 or 120.
skimmers to consider: any Aqua C Remora (with maxi-jet, NOT a rio pump) or a CPR bak-pak. these get much praise on the boards i visit

sorry to bother all yall but just joined the forum, how do I create my own post to ask questions?? thanks!! :mrgreen:

if you put 1-2 lbs of lr (like cbrguy said)which is enough to suppurt the berlin style of filtration and skimmer with a dsb you won't need another filter.

sorry to bother all yall but just joined the forum, how do I create my own post to ask questions?? thanks!!

Go to forum, click your category, and then New Topic! New topic will be at the top on the left side.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom