A number of questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemonsong

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys and gals,

I have a number of questions that I think you guys can awnsers...

1. Alright my LFS set me up with T5 lighting for my 90 gallon reef tank...I have 3 fixtures at 68 watts a piece so were talking 204 watts (which works out to 2.26 watts per gallon) will this be enough to grow my corals. The corals in which I plan to grow are polyps, mushrooms, soft corals, and LPS hard corals. No SPS or anenomes....my tank is 48x18x23. So is this going to be enough to comfortably grow these corals?

2. Another question I have is how much circulation is to much...right now I have a filter pumping out 925 gallons per hour. I think that will be enough, should I add powerheads? I have 2 aquaclear 70 powerheads on hand in case I will need them.

Besides that I really dont have any other questions and hopefully I can get all the awnsers I need and if I have any others I will post them. Well thank you guys a million in advance.

Matt

1. Enough to house polyps, mushrooms, zoos, etc. but I'm not sure about LPS. 2.26 WPG really isn't all that much. If your LFS knew you wanted a reef tank, they should have set you up with more powerful lighting.

2. 925 GPH on 90 gallons is just over 10x flow. This is good. However, flow into different places on your tank is a good thing. I would add the power heads. Atleast one of them, to create a circling current in your tank.

HTH

I can upgrade my lighting to 260 watts (which works out to 2.9 watts per gallon) would this be enough?

anyone else...or are those the only awnsers I am going to get?

I have not yet gone reef, but from what I have seen, many of the experienced reefkeepers will recommend between 4 and 7 watts per gallon. Going from 2.2 to 2.9 isn't much of a jump.

Paul

Trust me I understand where your coming from completly...I said 4-7 watts per gallon...but I had 5 different people working at 5 different LFS stores tell me it would be okay so I thought I would ask here!

I think I would go with more wattage just to give yourself a little more of a comfort zone in what you can keep in the tank. When I upgraded the lights in my 50 FOWLR (was originally a FOWLR anyway), I went with a 2 X 96 watt PC fixture. I've now been keeping mushrooms and a condy anemone in there for several months and they are really thriving. I liked this lighting arrangement, so I went with a 4 X 96 watt PC fixture on my new 90 gallon. That recently just cycled so I only have a couple of clowns in there so far. That gave me just over 4 watts/gallon in the 90, but I think that when you consider the difference in tank depth in my tanks, the 50 actually has more light than the 90 gallon.

You can skimp on the watts/gallon guidelines by careful placement of your livestock, placing the stuff that requires more light higher in the tank if I understand correctly, but I like not having to be super concerned about that. Just my opinion on it, but I like the 4+ watts/gallon as a comfort zone. All my livestock is reef safe in my 50 with the possible exception of my flame angel, so I've been considering adding some easier to keep corals in there while the 90 matures a little more and then transferring them to the 90 gallon. Will have to see how that goes. I've never done a reef tank before.

MH lighting would be highly recommended considering the height of the tank if you want to keep medium/high light corals. 260w is pushing it for medium light corals and as I’m sure you are aware high light corals would perish.

Back
Top Bottom