A quick question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikenhecker1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a canister filter and every time I clean the filter and turn it back on a bunch of white things start flying out of the discharge. What is that stuff? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Could be a few different things. It could be precipitated carbonate, it could be bacterial buildup, or it could be broken down algae/food/detritus.

What is your Ca, Alk, Mg, testing at? This can help determine if it is precipitate. Most likely, if you are not supplementing any of these, then it is detritus. This is why canisters are often not recommended for sw tanks - detritus can get trapped and build up, and cause nitrate issues. What are your nitrates testing at?

40 ppm. I havnt been supplementing so it is probably detritus. I am about to overhaul the whole thing. Thanks for the info. I just started the sw thing, been a fw keeper for years. Thanks again

I get the same thing I think. Looks like exoskeletons of copepods. I always just assumed it was lol.

The white things I get are long and skinny kinda like white hairs a half inch to an inch. I will get a pic next pwc.

Back
Top Bottom