About to purchase my first Salt Water Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

born2chill

Aquarium Advice Activist
THis is what I'm planning to buy:
68 Gal seamless bow tank with cabinet (Tank dim 42" L x 19" W x 25" H)
Fluval 404 MSF Filter
AquaC Remora Pro Skimmer
300 Watt Heater
30 lbs gulf LR and 30 lbs keys LR from LR.com

I was wondering how much sand I should buy for this setup and where the best place to buy it is? I figure that I don't need LS since I'll have plenty of life from my LR. I was also wondering if I should invest in some powerheads? If so, which type and how many?

Other than that, I was wondering if I needed anything else and if the equipment I have choosen is good. TIA

I would replace the fluval with a sump.
There is a calculator at the top of the page to help with how much. Bow fronts are tricky to calculate. but shoot for aboult 4"
There are good many posts touting the ac skimmers.

For the sand I would look into bagged dry sand from lfs. The "live sand in a bag is not worth the extra cash. And see if your lfs will sell you a pound of ls from their tank. If not check the regional forums for someone close by.

Also purchase 2-3 ph. I like maxi jets. They need to push about 680 gph (ten times gallons). point them so the ripple the surface.

Check local papers or ebay for deals. sometimes people sell an entire setup for half what you would pay for it.
good luck

Looks like you are off to a great start. A sump would really be nice, but they do add expense to the start-up. Your canister will be fine, just remenmber to clean it often so you do not develope a nitrate problem. Start with about 80lbs of sand. Follow darb's suggestion on the power heads. Get a good book and keep reaearching. I like "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. Good luck in the start up and keep stopping by for advice...Lando

And...Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:

I agree just add a few powerheads and you should be ready to got. Just keep the canister filter clean and it will work fine. For the power heads a few maxijet 1200's or 900's would work nice.

68 Gal seamless bow tank with cabinet (Tank dim 42" L x 19" W x 25" H)
Sounds like a cool tank, however, make sure this is what you want before you order/purchase and keep in mind this is not a standard size tank (as far as lenght) and you'll have to built your own retro ligthing system.

Most ligthing fixtures are 36" and 48". I am not saying you can't find something that is 42" but it's not as common and might cost more.

Thanks for all of the great advice!!! I'm not planning on having corals anytime soon so I'm not too worried about getting a custom light system to support them. I'm assuming that the stock lighting system will suit my needs for the time being. I plan on setting up a bigger tank when i get more advanced in the SW hobby, so I'll worry about corals then.

I actually decided on this tank since I live near an aquarium warehouse that sells tanks to fishstores and is willing to sell me the tank at a great price.

I was thinking about using the skimmer as a hang on for the time being and like the fact that I can also use it in a sump if I choose to go that route later. Will my tank do well without using a sump? Will I be limited in any way by not using a sump?

I am really excited about getting into the SW hobby. I'm happy I found this great forum and look forward to getting help from all the great people that post on these boards. I have been reading this forum for the past week or so and was very impressed by how informed and helpful the people here are. Thanks for all the help.

I picked up the tank today. It's a great tank, but I have a few concerns. First off there is a couple inches of glass on the top of the tank in the back. I was wondering if that would cause any problems when trying to use a HOB AquaC Remora Pro. I'm assuming I should be ok, but I want to double check.

I also got a better look at the lighting system on my tank. It holds 4 PC flourescent lightbulbs up to 90 watts each. I was wondering if this lighting would be sufficient if I wanted to put some corals in the future?

I also placed an order on The Conscientious Aquarist since it is a highly touted book around here. TIA

Not sure about the glass on the back of the tank. Any way to post a pic? Your lighting should be fine for most soft corals and LPS corals, even a lower-light anenome down the road. 360watts on a 68gal. is decent amount of light. How tall is the tank? That will make a difference. Have fun in the set up! Lando

Thanks for all the help. I recently purchased everything I need for my tank with the exception of salt mix, sand, LR, and a protein skimmer. I got 2 maxi-jet 1200's. I'm assuming that should be fine for now.

I emailed Captivereefs about the protein skimmer two days ago and am waiting for his response to purchase the skimmer. This is the email I sent him:

I came across your web site since I just joined Aquarium Advice. I
recently purchased a 68 gallon seamless bowfront tank. I am now
looking into buying the necessary equipment for it. I am very
interested in the AquaC Remora Pro as a hang on protein skimmer, but I
am not sure if I will be able to use it. My tank has some extra glass
paneling on the top of it at the front and back of my tank. The
paneling measures 2.25 inches wide and it is 3.25 inches from the top
of it. I have attached a picture of my tank so you can get a better
idea of what I'm talking about.

So my question is, can I still use the AquaC Remora Pro on my tank.
If not, can you recommend another skimmer to me? I do not have a sump
so I need a hang on skimmer. Thank you for your time, I really
appreciate it. By the way, I will purchase this skimmer from you if I
am able to use it.

So if anyone here can answer my question, I would greatly appreciate it.
Here is a picture of my tank:
img_308586_0_e1507688eedd9e00f9569ab95738188a.jpg
[/img]

It is hard to say if it will fit or not. I think it will be real close. You may have to relocate the pump with some tubing to get it to clear. The water outlet should not be a problem. This is a glass wall inside the tank correct? Sorry it took awhile to get back to you , this weekend was real busy both personal and business.

Thank you for responding. Yes it is a glass tank. Would a CPR Backpak 2R fit any better? Do you know of any other good protein skimmers that wouldn't give me a problem? If not, I might just have to take my chances.

The remora is your best bet since you can relocate the pump easily with some clear tubing if the need arises.

How much better is an aquac remora pro compared to something like a backpak2R? I have already spent a ton of money on everything and was just wondering if the aquac is worth the extra cash. Would the CPR provide enough skimming for my tank? TIA

Back
Top Bottom