Accidently added chlorine tap water into my cycling saltwater tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KoryTaylor

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so this morning my biocubes water was running low and taking in air to the pump so my dad put three glassfulls of tap water into it and didn't tell me about it for a couple hours oh and we're 1 1/2 weeks into cycling and the cloudiness and algea was clearing up and the ammonia had hit and the nitrite is almost to zero the salinity wasn't too bad it was 0.022-23 so I brought it back up to 0.024 and now it's a little cloudy compared to this morning so can somebody please help me and tell me if the nitrifying bacteria are all dead from the chlorine in the tap water I added a small amount of water conditioner to destroy the chlorine but is it too late? Thanks

It shouldn't be that bad. If you can drink the water you should be ok. Just ask your dad not to use tap again. Some people use tap water only.
What are you using for top off water? If you can have some on hand that would be good.

@ingy ok thanks but are u sure it's gonna be ok like the. Water my dad put in was freshwater that wasn't declorinated

That probably won't do anything. I seriously doubt that you'll notice anything. Just do a water change soon.

I second crister. . . it should not effect the tank significantly, but if you are concerned, a water change will do the trick.

Was the tap water treated or straight out of the tap? If it was straight out of the tap you may find some bacteria was killed and I would toss some chlorine remover in ASAP to minimize the damage. It may have also killed off any hitch hikers you had also. Lots of people use tap water for their tanks and the only real downside is that it has excess nutrients which provide food for algae to grow but this water is always treated with a chlorine remover.

kdpuffer said:
but this water is always treated with a chlorine remover.

Just for information and water chemistry sake, im gonna correct here. Proper term would be chlorine neutralizer. Nothing is removed. Some people dont realize this. And i figured it worth mentioning. I agree with the advice kd;) sorry for my trollishness.

I second using a tap water treatment product asap, if your tap has chlorine in it. If I where using my prime, I would dose one to two drops per gal for the hole tank.

Chlorine takes days to neutralize, could stunt bb growth, and prolong cycle.

Back
Top Bottom