add Prime before adding new fish (panda corys)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tostada

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do you guys add Prime before adding new fish, just to "be sure" your parameters are good?

I keep up with testing and PWC. I just wondered if adding Prime to neutralize anything in there is a good idea or a bad idea. I mean, my water is probably already better than the LFS, so maybe it would actually be a bad idea and make acclimation harder on the fish?

I'm concerned because the LFS has a decent deal on panda corys, but they're very small -- they look like they're slightly under 1". Pandas are pretty touchy to begin with, aren't they?

Prime will detox ammonia and nitrites, which you shouldn't have (if you do then you're not fully cycled and panda cories are a bit sensitive).

It will also dechlor water , but you should be doing that with water changes anyway

Given all this, I see no reason to have to add Prime when adding fish

I don't add anything when adding new fish. I have learned through hard experience that QT'ing the fish for 2 weeks is the best thing for the exsisting tankmates. I acclimate the new fish slowly after QT.

If your tank is fully cycled adding new fish won't affect the cycle unless adding too many at one time.

Back
Top Bottom