Adding additional Live Rock to a cycled tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbem2004

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 75 gallon tank with a few fish (damsels), a cleaner crew(snails/crabs) and about 50 lbs of LR. I was thinking of adding about 30 more lbs of LR from LR.com. Will that cause the tank to recycle? Will it kill of my invertebrates?

If your tank is already cycled, you should be ok. You might have a small cycle, just make sure you have some aged SW ready in case you need to do a water change to bring down any ammonia spike. Some will say that you should cure it in a secondary container, but from what I have heard about liverocks.com, you should not see much die off from their rock.

tripper

When you get the rock from LR.com, they say specifically not to cure it. It comes straight out of the ocean and doesn't have much dieoff, if any. If I had a spike, it came and went without me noticing, and I checked every other day for a week I think (now it's at least once a week).

-j

I did the same thing in my fifty five tank. Originally I had about 25lbs of LR and I bought an additional 30lbs of live rock for my tank from the LFS after it had already been established for a year. I saw a small spike in my ammonia levels so I did 10% water change every week for four weeks and that kept everything under control. :D

Back
Top Bottom