Adding baserock to tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Base rock is dead and there should be no die off. Rinse good with fresh or salt water and toss in tank using fresh will not make a difference because it is dead rock. PH not running will not make a difference.

I'm not checking for dieoff, I'm checking for handling contaminents etc. - I dont know where it's come from :p There's some black fluff inside it and different coloured patches on the outside etc.

Does anyone know the answer to this one?

The rock has been in the container (with heater and powerhead) for 4 days, but the powerhead hasn't been on all the time - it's been switched off for 10 hours each night.

Does the powerhead issue matter, or, if I test for ammonia now and its 0, am I good to go?

MarkW19 said:
Does the powerhead issue matter,
Not really, there's no life on dry base rock or die off so nothing to keep alive or real need to aerate.

if I test for ammonia now and its 0, am I good to go?
Yes

Cheers
Steve

Cheers Steve - you just suggested putting the rock in the container with a powerhead for a few days ("you can let it sit in a pail of SW with carbon and a powerhead for a few days") so I thought it must be important - I guess if anything is on the rock (contaminents etc.) then the powerhead will help them get into the water, and show in ammonia?

So, if ammonia is now at 0, the rock is perfectly harmless?

MarkW19 said:
you just suggested putting the rock in the container with a powerhead for a few days ("you can let it sit in a pail of SW with carbon and a powerhead for a few days") so I thought it must be important - I guess if anything is on the rock (contaminents etc.) then the powerhead will help them get into the water, and show in ammonia?
Correct. The only reason I suggested that in the first place was as you said, the possibility of contaminates. The rock you where buying was freely accessable to be handled by the general public and a possible concern. Otherwise it would not have been a consideration.

So, if ammonia is now at 0, the rock is perfectly harmless?
(y) (y)

Cheers
Steve

Steve: just tested ammonia and it's 1 mg/l.

But, I used used SW from my waterchange (ie. just come out of the tank that I wouldn't thrown away otherwise). Is it possible the ammonia would have been present in that water, and with the bacteria not being present in my container to convert it, it's simply escalated to 1mg/l?

Anyway, what do I do now? :p

lol...

If it's given ammonia off though?!?

Also nice red and yellow patches appeared on it and black fluff/dust etc. :p

MarkW19 said:
I used used SW from my waterchange (ie. just come out of the tank that I wouldn't thrown away otherwise). Is it possible the ammonia would have been present in that water, and with the bacteria not being present in my container to convert it, it's simply escalated to 1mg/l?
I would suggest testing it again. Simpley using water from the main tank is not really enough to spur on ammonia. Was the carbon also from the main tank and "used" before?

Cheers
Steve

I didn't use carbon (my filter won't fit in my container and I dont have any carbon yet :p).

I guess the ammonia came from the rock then - how do I get rid of the ammonia, so to speak?

Scrub the rock with a clean brush, do a water change every few days, wait a few more days, retest and see where you stand in about a week. Seems odd to have ammonia without a source but it's more than possible there could have been some dried organic matter you didn't see.

Your not trying to cycle the rock or cure it really. You just want to make sure that it does not add impurities/die off to the display. Once you gte a zero ammonia reading your good to go. Just keep doing the above 'till you get a zero reading.

Cheers
Steve

I scrubbed all I could before I put it in the last time - its hard to get into all the crevices etc!

Hmm, I'm starting to think maybe liverock was the way to go...perhaps easier!

Would have been the same if not more work but quite alot more costly$$ :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Hehe...

Grr, was hoping I wouldn't have to do all this...

Scrubbing will be useless because I've scrubbed all I can...

I guess I can't do anything else if ammonia keeps showing up? My waterchange equipment is actually the equipment I was using for the rock, so it's very hard for me to do a waterchange for the rock :p

Good job I didn't just put it in my tank I guess? :p

If I do as you suggest, and scrub and try again, and I still get ammonia, will I have to actually "cure" the rock?

Not in the truest sense, if you do the water changes it will go alot faster. If you cannot/do not want to do the water changes just let it ride. The ammonia will eventually read zero, you just need to be patient.

I'd love to know why the ammonia though, doesn't make a bit of sense for dry base rock. :?

Cheers
Steve

Handling contaminates perhaps?

So basically I'm waiting for the rock to cycle? Could take a good few weeks?

Back
Top Bottom