Adding Bio Spira

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MYTY1705

Aquarium Advice Freak
Trying my luck at salt tank for first time. Added water and salt then let sit with all equipment running for 4-5 hours. Then added sand, water is cloudy now!!

Question1:
At what point should I add the Bio Spira, when the water clears, or should I go ahead and put it in.

Question 2:
How long should I let the tank cycle with the bacteria befor adding fish. LFS said 24 hours, but you know them.

Please help a unknowing newbie. Thanx.

I tried this product out in a qt tank. My experience was a negative one, it didn't work. You would be better off getting some live rock and cycling with that. There have been mixed reviews with the product you mention. 24 hours isn't realistic for a tank cycle IMO. :wink:
How big is your tank?

I have a 65 gal. tank
emperor 400 filter
Sea Clone 100 protein skimmer
Aqua Clear 802 power head (400 gph)
200w Heater
40 watt hood lamp (probably no reef in future).

I purchased the tank at a garage sale and the hood lamp and the power head came with it. Along with other things for a fresh water tank. ($25, I thought good bargain!!)

I have no fish yet, but ideas for a schooling type tank with some lr would be appreciated. i.e. clowns or other fish that go well with them.

As for the cycle, you can get a good deal at http://www.liverocks.com
Much cheaper than most lfs and from what I hear excellent rock. It will be uncured, so you can cure it yourself in your tank. This will give you an excellent cycle as well.
This would be a great start, you can look through the posts for more info on cycling.
With a 65 you have a pretty good selection of livestock to choose from.
Check out http://www.liveaquaria.com
They give you a good rundown of fish, tank size need, ease of care etc.
Have fun with it. (y)

how much lr does it take to cycle it? I prety much want a fish only tank. Maybe a few pieces for protection, but not 1-2 lbs per gal. Can this be done?? or am I S.O.L.
Can I use shrimp or other fish pieces for the process instead of lr?

You can start out with whatever you can afford. 1 lb per gallon would be the best. You can start out with 30 lbs or so and add more "cured" rock later on. There is a raw shrimp method. I'm not familiar with the details, perhaps someone else will chime in.

Back
Top Bottom