Adding corals and anemones soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZekeMM

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everybody,
I need some advice. I want to add an anemone and corals soon to my reef tank. I will be adding the anemone first so that I can see where it wants to live. I checked my water specs today and tell me if you think that this is ok for the anemone.
S.G.= 1.024
Temp= 78-80 degrees F
Ammonia= 0
Nitrate= 5 mg/L
Nitrite= 0.1 mg/L
Calcium= 380 mg/L
PH= 8.3
I know that the Nitrate and Nitrite should be zero but I'm planning to do a small water change soon. Any other hints? Thanks!

i think they reccomend that you wait at least one year before you add any anemones. And i personally dont recommend them at all as they have very low survival rates in captivity and are almost immortal in the wild. (almost lol)

How long has your tank been set up? What kind of anemone? Is there anything else in your tank? What is your lighting?

Nitrite= 0.1 mg/L

Still not completely cycled with those numbers.. I would wait until this is at 0 and Remains there for a while.. As for Anemones wait for at least a year and your tank is extremely stable.. Its bad enough that some LFS sell stuff that has extremely poor survival rates.. All we are doing but supporting this is ridding the Ocean of these wonderful creatures..

JMO,
James

Thanks for the replies. I have a 75 gallon tank that has 75 lbs of live rock. I have a 2.5 inch bed of live sand and it has 2 blue actinic bulds and a Power Compact lights. I have 3 Peppermint shrimps, 3 skunk cleaners, a sea serpent star, Hermit Crabs with snails. I have 2 False Clowns, 2 Banggai Bardinals, Scooter Blenny, and a Coral Beauty. There are also 8 Feather Dusters in the tank. My setup has a Powerhead, Protein Skimmer, and a Fluval canister filter.

2 blue actinic bulds and a Power Compact lights.

Not sure of the wattage of the PC's, but this does not sound like enough light for any host anemone.

Another thing to be careful of is purchasing a healthy anemone - knowing the 'appearance' of a healthy anemone, vs. a sick/bleached/dyed anemone. This takes a bit of research, depending on the type of anemone you're considering purchasing.

I don't usually recommend anemones at all (unless kept by an 'advanced' aquarist in a species tank), but if they are to be purchased/kept, the "best" one is the BTA (Bubble Tip anemone - Entamacea quadricolor).

HTH,

Back
Top Bottom