Adding cured rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JraGold

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have recently cured 80 lbs of fiji rock. Had it in a tote of saltwater with 2 circulation pumps and a heater for 3 months. Changed the water 3 times. It's now all good to go but when I tested the water recently phosphates were high. My question is: if I add some of this rock to my setup is it possible that the rock will leach phosphates in to my system? Or is there something I can do to remove the phosphates?

The rock was dead rock when I started it. Was in another setup for years prior...

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It is very possible that it will leach phosphates as it sounds like this is what it is doing now. Have you tried dunking it in water to see if anything comes out or even scrubbing it?

You can leave the rock in the tub for another week or so. Throw a mechanical fitler on it, and dose SeaKlear, phosphate remover to it. This will remove phosphate in one big hurry. May take a week or so, so test after using it. Just a capful of this stuff will remove a huge amount of phosphates, but will leave behind its bonded form, thus the use of the filter.

I haven't done anything with it other than change the water 3 times. But that Is a good idea! Maybe I'll try putting a pc in a bucket on its own and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom