Adding Dispar Anthias

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TreyC2010

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just purchased 3 Dispars and have them acclimating now. Any tips or comments about these guys? I have a 150 thats lightly stocked. 2 clowns, Midas Blenny, 2 watchman gobies, and a mccoskers wrasse. I have a sailfin in my qt that will go in later.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They should be good to go. They say adding an odd number is good. The other fish should not mess with them.

I love dispars they are really active. I kept one for a few days but he unfortunately died when a bristle worm barbed him mouth and prevented him from eating.

Watch the girls!
3 may be the best number besides 1.
I couldn't find the link but I read in several that the females,in particular the most dominant will attempt to kill the male and assume his role.

Watch the girls!
3 may be the best number besides 1.
I couldn't find the link but I read in several that the females,in particular the most dominant will attempt to kill the male and assume his role.

Talk about bad relationships.........

Well I added 2 more to make 5 and saw 4 out swimming this morning. Hopefully the other was just sleeping in late haha

I'm not sure to be totally honest. I didn't see at first and tried my best to look when I got them in the tank. I should've looked while they were in the bag. I acclimate in a dark container so I couldn't see through it then.

I was asking if the male was gone already?:eek:
Now with 4 females you need to keep a very close eye on the largest female.
You do know what sex fish you got right???:confused:
Anthias are reported to prefer being fed MULTIPLE times a day.(as many as 6!!)
Are you prepared for that?
With a school the greatest competition for food will be amongst themselves IMO.:facepalm:
I fed mine 1x daily but only kept one.:rolleyes:
The reason some keep shools,instead of small groups is they are NOT very nice to each other!(conspecific).:hide:
Still looking for link!;)
Good Luck!

I've read about the feeding and am more than prepared. All are alive and eating flakes and frozen food. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433783935.581836.jpg
Can you sex these by this picture? It's all I could get

Without being an expert on anthias(I am not) I think these guys are pretty tough to tell if the male does not clearly stand out?
I had 2 fat heads(supposed to be pair from #2 LFS) that ended poorly for one in a matter of months.
Are those guys Bartlets?
I had one of them also years back.
It's funny(not really) when a fish jumps out of your tank after 2 years?
Definitely a cool looking fish but one that is still a hard one for most to keep over the long run.
Feed them hard for first couple weeks and on that note you feeding flakes and they are eating them ?

ive never had much success with anthias for some reason. they are beautiful fish but whenever i get one they dont survive

That's what I was worried about. I just wanted a small schooling fish and had been led to anthias. I'm hoping I can make something happen. Only time will tell.

That's what I was worried about. I just wanted a small schooling fish and had been led to anthias. I'm hoping I can make something happen. Only time will tell.

If the anthias don't survive (I hope they do) then a school of chromis would look nice and there are many types to chose from.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433808602.107471.jpg
I have one that's hiding behind that refugium up top by itself. Could it be getting too stressed? The rest are grouped in the rocks together.

How long should I wait before adding my sailfin tang? I didn't want to overload or stress these guys so I've waited. I added them last weekend.

Do they all seem comfortable and eating well.
The tang will change the dynamics of the tank IMO so make sure the anthias are comfortable first.

They stay in a secluded spot in my tank but they do come out occasionally and at feeding time. I have max spect razors and I've read they don't like bright light so that's what I assumed they stayed in that spot for.

For anyone who reads this thread in the future, my Anthias have been in one week and are now venturing out. Just like everything else in the hobby, be patient. These guys are beautiful and hopefully I keep them that way! Thanks guys for the help.

Back
Top Bottom