Adding extra live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhys23

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, quick question!

I've just finished my first fish less cycle (parameters are all 0) but I would like to add more live rock to my tank as I don't think I currently have enough, if I put new live rock into my tank will it start the whole cycle over again meaning I won't be able to stock with fish for another month/ 2 months or would fish be okay with it?

The tank is already cycled so you won't have to go through a new cycling period. However any time you add new live rock to the tank it will experience some die off causing an ammonia spike. I would add new rock then give it a week before testing water parameters. If everything is good then it's safe to add fish.

Another method is to add fish now, then let the live rock soak in a bucket of water until it is done curing. After it stops producing more ammonia it should be safe to put in your tank.

What if the rock was already cured ie. coming from another established tank?

You should be fine as long as you don't add masses at once

Okay thanks guys for your advice!

Can't wait to add fish to the tank, I'm thinking 2 ocelaris clowns, a four striped wrasse and I'd like to add one more fish, not really too sure yet, I would love a tang but my tank is way too small (20gal). Do you guys have any suggestions to go with what I want?

Keeping in mind I eventually want to house corals too.

I would say the 2 clowns would be your limit on fish but could get inverts too in a 20

You could safely keep 3 fish in a 20g. 4 is a possibility if they are small and you are very diligent about water parameters.

Skip the Wrasse though. Your tank is too small for a fish like that.

Bummer!

The wrasse is the one I wanted the most :(
what are my options for a third fish to keep with a pair of clowns mebbid?

If I may suggest a purple firefish or rainsfords goby, both colourful out front swimmers and the goby eats algae, bonus!

Attachments

• image-2877339098.jpg
    image-2877339098.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 86
  • image-1805783980.jpg
    image-1805783980.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 132
Both of them are beautiful fish, I'd never heard of that goby before, would most gobies be alright in a tank that size?

Hey guys, quick question!

I've just finished my first fish less cycle (parameters are all 0) but I would like to add more live rock to my tank as I don't think I currently have enough, if I put new live rock into my tank will it start the whole cycle over again meaning I won't be able to stock with fish for another month/ 2 months or would fish be okay with it?

i had your same thoughts on adding rock, i was terrified of die off, but my lrs is about 20min away from my house, so when i went to pick up the rock, i asked for fish bags for the rock, ask them to put a few cups of water in the bag with the rock so you can keep the rock wet over the ride home, kinda swish it around every minute or two. and add a piece or two at a time to your tank, nows the time to be picky on which rocks your going to put where etc etc, dont go adding 40lbs at once though lol i waited a week between adding rocks above 5lbs, goodluck (y)

So I've finally added the extra live rock (everything went smoothly) and I've also added my first two little clowns to the tank :) they're looking really good and I'm really happy for the tank!
Here's some pics for you guys

P.s. I even scored a few free corals from the guy I bought the live rock from :)

Attachments

• image-3796936173.jpg
    image-3796936173.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 79
  • image-2951316665.jpg
    image-2951316665.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 62
  • image-1615823891.jpg
    image-1615823891.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 61
  • image-1009886094.jpg
    image-1009886094.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 91
  • image-796186200.jpg
    image-796186200.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 61
I would say the 2 clowns would be your limit on fish but could get inverts too in a 20

my understanding clowns need a min tank size of 30 gals. I hate to see a fish in a tank that is to small for him. I also heard that even though the outside of the body stops growing all the organs keep growing. sounds cruel to me. :hide:

I bought a 40gal just to have enough room for a pair of clowns.

Back
Top Bottom