Adding Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the_fish_man

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got a really good deal on a saltwater tank that has fish and some corals but it doesn't have a lot of live rock can I just add some in slowly. So nothing makes high raises or drops.

Do you have any fish or other livestock in there already? If so I would recommend not adding any live rock, but rather dry rock. You dont want to put any amount of live rock in an already set up tank. Plus, dry rock is a lot cheaper and will 'seed' pretty quickly with the live organisms already in the live rock you have.

If you dont have livestock, then you can certainly go ahead and add more live rock.. just be aware that it may start another cycle or at least an ammonia spike.

Ya there are some clownfish in there and corals so I can add dry rock. Will it. Have to be cured?

nope, just throw it in and let it be. It is live rock that is dead and should be pure white almost.

Another thing you can do if you really want to get the live rock is cure it in a separate container, then slowly add that to your tank. I just used a 28 gal brute trash can, powerhead, and heater to cure mine. Took about 3-4 weeks to fully cure (no ammonia or nitrites). After that I added a few rocks a week and saw no spikes at all.

Back
Top Bottom