Adding Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rtoycrow

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just ordered 45 lbs of uncured fiji live rock for drsfosterandsmith and was wondering do I put it directly in my new tank or does it need to be rinsed off. And if so rinse off in salt or freshwater? And if anybody has any more tips i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

You could rinse it off in some saltwater just to get some of the dead stuff off, but you dont have to because your tank is going to cycle while the rock cures anyway.

Rinsing it in some SW may decrease the amount of ammonia produced, and make cycling a little easier. Something else to keep in mind while your cycling w/ LR is PWC's. If ammonia levels get too high, it will not only prolong the cycle time, but also kill off more life on the LR. Monitor the ammonia and do a PWC if levels get too high.

Let say i collected my own live rock. Could i put it directly into my aqaurium without curing. This rock will be out of water for a few minutes only.

rtoycrow said:
I just ordered 45 lbs of uncured fiji live rock for drsfosterandsmith and was wondering do I put it directly in my new tank or does it need to be rinsed off. And if so rinse off in salt or freshwater? And if anybody has any more tips i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

To answer your question about the LR from the good doctors you will need to wash that off in a bucket of SW. I usually scrub mine off real good to minimize die off that MT was talking about.

Back
Top Bottom