Adding LR To an established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

143gadgets

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank has already finished cycling and has two percula clowns and some inverts. i want to orde 20lbs of keys rock from LR.com but i am afaid that the die off from the rock will cause another cycle. Should i add it to my tank or what should i do? i am also afraid that the rock will have a mantis shrimp and it will eat my beautiful clown fish. What should I do?

It shouldn't need curing, but you can put it is a tupperware container for a few days with a PH and a heater to see if you get a spike. If you don't then go ahead and add.
As for the mantis, you could always do a SW soda water dip for 1 minute. Simply get a bucket, fill it with soda water (make sure it is pure soda water). Add salt mix to correct spg and place the rock in it for 1 minute. Being salt water, it should not kill off much of the good stuff, but the critter will come leaping off. You them pick out the critter you want, rinse the rock in another bucket with normal salt mix and place it in the curing container or you tank.
It works pretty well and sure beats a FW dip.
Or better yet, skip the soda water dip all together and trap the unwanted critters as you find them. With #20, you may not even get any.

Back
Top Bottom