Adding RODI water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoOfDiVr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My salinity level was getting high so I added RODI water no salt in it... Should I gradually add it in or just get it to safe levels all at one time?

I usually let mine slowly pour in through a peice of airline. You don't want to shock the inhabitants .

RoOfDiVr said:
My salinity level was getting high so I added RODI water no salt in it... Should I gradually add it in or just get it to safe levels all at one time?

Why was your salinity getting high? I'm assuming here, but are you doing top offs with salt water? If so, only use RODI for that. Evaporating water leaves salt behind, and the salinity will raise. If you top off with salt water, this will increase salinity, not bring it back down like it does with a RODI top off...

In terms of getting it back down, I would slowly remove tank water an replace with RODI over the course of a few days, maybe even a week.

Yeah I was basically taking away tap water and replacing it with RODI, was adding salt to it not thinking... But thanks everyone for your feedback. No more rookie mistakes lol

Back
Top Bottom