Advice for a new guy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silly

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So this is my first reef tank, i have had FW tanks in the past but i was much younger and it has been a while. I live about a hour from the beaches and i want a little piece of the ocean with me at home :) The tank i have started is a 10 gallon....i know i know 10 gallons are hard......i have done enough reading to know that by now, but i have a 10 gallon tank laying around and i wanted to put it to use. I understand that it takes a long time to cycle a tank and i am in no way rushed to get anything done. As of right now i have my tank, 18Lb of live rock, live sand, a hydor koralia 425 gph powerhead, eheim jager heater, and a quiet flow 20 filter. The man at the LFS told me to put ROWAphos in my filter along with Chemi-pure to help with the tank.
But i guess my question is.........does everything sound alright so far? lol all i have for testing water right now is a Hydrometer and my salinity is a bit high right now at 37...1.029 gravity. I plan on getting a testing kit soon....long before i start adding anything to the tank.
Also, what is best for lighting, the dude at the LFS said all he had for a 10 gal was this $300 light fixture. I do not feel like spending that kind of cash for a 10 gallon tank seeing as how i am starting with this tank and if all goes well ill get a much larger tank in 6 months or so. I would like to have some nice plants and such in there, something fun to look at :). If you can help me on lighting that would be amazing.......i had a idea to use 2 of the 10 gallon hoods you can get anywhere just to get more light....is that a good idea?

oh and my name is Ryan, nice to meet everybody :)

Back
Top Bottom