Advice for new fo tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr_girlfriend

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all! I am new to this site. I have a few questions about starting a FO tank. My plan is to put about 20 lbs of live rock, powerhead and a protein skimmer for a 10 gallon tank. Not to sure about substrate yet, perhaps live sand. As far as fish go, probably just a pair of false perculas.
My question is, what is a good protein skimmer for not to much $$$. Also what type of live rock to you suggest?

That seems to be a little too much rock for the tank... I would go 15 pounds max. For a 10 gallon tank, I've used the skilter 250, its a little loud and I would use a lime air stone to supplement it's skimming capability. It is also a mechanical/wet dry filter. I never had trouble with it...

I think the 20 lbs of LR is great. With that and a good skimmer you wont need any other filtration. Keep up with regular water changes and you should not have any problems. Definately use sand as a substrate ascc will lead to high nitrates. Check out www.liverocks.com they are a site sponser and have great LR

Liverocks.com has beautiful rocks, but the shipping costs more than the rocks! Anyone know of a good place in California to get some good [acronym="Live rock"]LR[/acron
"edit"
It seems there are a few places selling mainly figi. also toga, haiti, and alor

For me even with shipping the cost is cheaper than local LR. The LR around here is pretty dead anyway so it is worth the wait and shipping costs

well, its about $8 a pound through liverocks.com with shipping. I would be a little nervous buying uncured rock though. I have never attempted it before, and would hate to screw up $200 in rock

The rock from LR.com doesn't need to be cured, especially if you're adding it into a tank that you're cycling anyway. You'll probably need to add a raw shrimp to really kick start a cycle with it. They do a great job picking, packing and shipping the rock. Sounds scary, but it really isn't. Their Keys rock is exceptionally beautiful and well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom