Advice on algae issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Murf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
image-2733124420.jpg

image-3444789412.jpg

What is this algae? And please tell me how to get rid of it. Or why it's here. I just started a 55 gallon reef up and running as of a week ago...

Brown algae not sure of the specific name but definitely a common occurrence in a new tank. Most likely if the tank is new it is still cycling and will go away on there own.

What is this algae? And please tell me how to get rid of it. Or why it's here. I just started a 55 gallon reef up and running as of a week ago...

Looks like a diatom bloom.
One week ago u setup ur tank and already have corals? Did u get used water from an established tank? I can't see you cycle being finished yet. Hence one of the reasons you have a diatom bloom. Its part of the early stages of the cycle. It will come and go throughout the years.

Have you got urself a clean up crew yet?

My tank cycled for like 7 weeks before in got coral. I used two dead shrimp and the decomposed. And I am not planning on getting a cuc. Does the algae bother my 5 corals?

Maybe not the algae itself but it's there for a reason. Algae like that usually live because there's unwanted chemicals(phosphates, nitrite, nitrate etc..) in there that are feeding it. And that in turn maybe be harmful to the corals.

Back
Top Bottom