After cycle is done water change question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gunk

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my cycle is about halfway done. My initial dose of 4 ammo is down to1, nitrites are off the chart and nitrates are at 20. Once the cycle is finished my nitrates should be very high. Is there any other way I can remove them other than water changes. I hate to dump this expensive salt and water down the drain and from past experience with freashwater I probably need a 80% water change and then another at least 50% to get nitrates down to 5 or 10. That's alot of rodi water and salt and money. I will do it but was wondering if I could remove them another acceptable way.

you are going to have to do "expensive" water changes for the life of your tank. if you aren't comfortable with that, you might want to reconsider salt livestock. also, if you feel a few cents worth of R.O. water and 3 dollars worth of salt too much, then this is definitely the wrong hobby for you.

you are going to have to do "expensive" water changes for the life of your tank. if you aren't comfortable with that, you might want to reconsider salt livestock. also, if you feel a few cents worth of R.O. water and 3 dollars worth of salt too much, then this is definitely the wrong hobby for you.

Like I said it's not a problem I will do it. I was just wondering if there was some other way that I haven't stumbled upon. Jeez sorry for asking a question. If I couldn't afford it I wouldn't have gotten into it in the first place.

All I'm saying is that I thought this was the place to ask questions for people that are new to saltwater & reef. I did post this to "saltwater & reef getting started". I'm just asking a question because I'm new to the saltwater reef stuff. I thought that's what this section was for.

it is. i'm not being sarcastic, i'm being serious. salt water is anything but a cheap hobby. removal of nutrients will be your battle until you decide to quit it, and while there are mechanical methods to do so, nothing beats the water change.

Back
Top Bottom