Aggressive Starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catchndolphn

Aquarium Advice Regular
I added a serpent star to my tank today and it has been pulling my mexican turbos out of their shells and under the rocks to eat i assume. is this typical behavior?

the star is greyish color, and has small bristles he moves on his bottom side. could it possibly be a brittle and they gave me the wrong one? it is solid color w/ no stripes like a serpent.

Brittle and serpent is a distinction only made in the hobby. Scientifically speaking they are all serpent stars, bristly legs or not. The green brittle star is generally the only fish eater, problem maker. It's possible your star is just malnourished from poor handling after collection and at the LFS. It may calm down w/ a few target feedings of meaty food. Target feedings are always a good idea w/ serpents to avoid problems regardless IMO. Then again some individuals are just more prone to predation, etc. You may need to return it and try another if it persist. HTH

correction, i coaxed it out with some food, and it does have slightly darker stripes. Thats what I was hoping MT79, the LFS seemed pretty well stocked so Im thinking they just got a shipment in recently and the star may have not eaten in a while since it was in shipping, ect.

Yeah...I addded one to my tank and it did the same thing...I wasn't that upset becaue it got rid of one very very large snail that was a pain in my reef...but after a week and as was mentioned a few target feedings all is well in the reef again....

Back
Top Bottom