Aggressive yellow tang towards pearlscale butterflyfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dj.rehberg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just purchased a pearlscale butterfly fish and the yellow tang I have keep attacking it and chasing it around the tank. What should I do? Can any one recommend some. Because the yellow tang is going after the 3 new fish. A pearlscale butterfly, coral beauty angle, and a blue tang. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What size tank are we talking about? When a new fish is put into a tank, territories have to be re-established and this type of behavior will happen. If there isn't enough room, they will fight and most likely one will die, but if there is plenty of room and hiding places thing will level out. Another thing with tangs is that if you offer up plenty of algae sheets they are more mellow towards other tank mates.

It's 43 gallons. The Red Sea reefer 170.

It's 43 gallons. The Red Sea reefer 170.

There's your issue. Yellow tangs are mean and If it has been in your tank for a while I doubt it will let any newcomers in, especially ones that are similar shape or size. Which all 3 of your new fish are.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tanks not big enough for the tangs or butterfly leading to the aggression. The yellow has probably claimed the whole tank and that's why it's being aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well, there is the issue at hand. Tangs need a ton of space. The ones you've listed need ones large enough for 6 ft of swimming room to be healthy and have room to have their own 'safe place'. So, with two of such large tangs, you tie in a pearlscale who also needs a 'larger' tank but not on such a large scale as the tangs. I think one would be able to be kept in this tank but keep an eye on it and the other fish as well...the coral beauty can also get aggressive when put into a corner.
If this tank were in my living room, I would return the tangs and the coral beauty. This will stop all aggression and give you the ability to look into what kind of fish you would like that would work and be compatible in your system. Liveaquaria.com is a good source for such knowledge...besides asking us of course.

EDIT: I should also ask more about the system. How much rock is in the tank? Though the current livestock isn't suitable for what is going on, if there isn't enough places to hide even fish that would work together can get aggressive without a place to call their own.

Last edited:
The small tank is the problem. Those tangs should be MINIMUM in a 120 gallon tank. They can both get to over 10" long. Plus the Butterfly needs about a 90 gallon, and the coral beauty is at its limit. There's no way those fish can possibly live happily in that tank without fighting and almost certainly death. You should rehome the tangs and butterfly and maybe even the angel too.

Please research the fish you buy BEFORE you buy them.

Back
Top Bottom